What age is too young to...

Options
fleur_de_lis19
fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
Get your tubes tied? I'm 26 and I'm about 75% sure I don't want another child (I only have one) and at times I feel like the only thing that keeps me even thinking about having another, is that nothing "solid" has been done to prevent it. I feel like if i just go ahead and have my tubes tied, then I won't be incline to even think about it any more. Your thoughts.

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Obviously it is a personal decision, but I think 26 is kind of young to get permanently sterilized. They are options like an IUD that would give you very good birth control, for a long period of time (mirena lasts five years, paraguard 10 years), but if you do decide at some point to have a child, you can have it easily removed. I would say if you are only 75% sure you don't want another child, sterilization may not be the best choice. I'm 95% sure I don't want more kids, but I still can't bring myself to remove the option from the table, forever!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd be hard pressed to find a doctor who would do that procedure on someone as young as you. Also if you're "75% sure" you don't want to have any more children there's still that 25% out there. While the procedure IS reversible is that really something you would want to have done? Also, I'm not sure if you're in a committed relationship or not but if not consider the fact that if you do get your tubes tied you will need to find a man who understands that this was done and that there is no chance that you'll get pregnant (assuming you don't want to have the procedure reversed) and who is on the same page 100% on not having any children.

Also I did research on the procedure and the only sure fire way to know whether or not the procedure was successful is if you don't get pregnant. As for the other procedures, the one where you can have the tubes blocked I've read reviews on it and they're not great. Lots of people suffer pain from it and that procedure is not reversible.

I would do my research and think long and hard as to whether or not this is something that you really want done and again, consider the future relationship aspect and finding a man who is 100% on board with not having any children.

I was lucky in that neither my husband nor myself want to have any children. They're hard to come by.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Are you married?

Is there any health risks if you happen to get pregnant? Would you have a "high risk pregnancy" due to existing health issues?

I would say if you're single, wait. If you'd have a high risk pregnancy, go ahead and fix it. I had kid #2 at 23 and had a tubaligation the next day. It was a high risk pregnancy with my seizures and she was 10lbs. soooo... NO MORE!

I got divorced... remarried at 29. if he wanted kids, I probably would have considered having one more.. so it could have been a bad decision to have them tied at that age.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    I would want to be 100% sure before I did something that permanent. If you're even thinking about it I'd wait. Also, in my area there are laws making it illegal under age 35 (that, or doctors just refuse to do it so much everyone says it's illegal).
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You need to be about 25% more sure.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I decided at 21 that I didn't want children and got a vasectomy. The doctors were the ones who were reluctant to do it because they were afraid I would change my mind later. It took visit 3 different ones before I was able to convince one I was serious. I am now 45 and have never regretted my choice.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I decided at 21 that I didn't want children and got a vasectomy. The doctors were the ones who were reluctant to do it because they were afraid I would change my mind later. It took visit 3 different ones before I was able to convince one I was serious. I am now 45 and have never regretted my choice.

A girl I worked with was only 28. She has 2 kids, and is a single Mom. She was 100% sure, but her Dr wouldn't do it because he thought she would change her mind if she ever got married. She ended up having to get an IUD. I guess she should have tried more Dr's
  • queenreason
    Options
    I'm 18 and want my tubes tied. It's your body. No one gets to tell you you're too young and you don't know what you want. I say go for it. The world is disastrously overpopulated, and there are thousands of orphans that need to be adopted, reproducing is just irresponsible. Just adopt a kid if you want another one. Getting your tubes tied is reversible, anyway, so it doesn't matter even if you're dying to birth another baby, you can make it happen.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I would want to be 100% sure before I did something that permanent. If you're even thinking about it I'd wait. Also, in my area there are laws making it illegal under age 35 (that, or doctors just refuse to do it so much everyone says it's illegal).

They just say it. I got my tubes tied there when I was 23. and I doubt they were able to find some loophole in the last 15 years or so.. it's more of an ethics question. They do make it very difficult, though! Thankfully I asked my doctor about it soon enough. You have to sign paper work 6 months out, 3 months out, and then day of. they really tried talking me out of it!!

I can't imagine how they can make that specific surgery illegal.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    When I was 24 I thought for sure I wanted a tubal. I had one son at that point and was told it was near impossible to have another child. But, I wasn't certain. So, I held off and am so glad I did. My daughter was born a few years later. There was a very small chance of conceiving or carrying her to term, so she really is my miracle. Because of other complications, I chose to have the tubal at that time.
  • spikefoot
    Options
    Seems kind of like a double standard that you can get an abortion easier than your tubes tied when at a certain age. Not trying to start a debate on what is ethical or not, just an observation. It is the 75% that concerns me though..95% or higher seems ideal to me.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Get your tubes tied? I'm 26 and I'm about 75% sure I don't want another child (I only have one) and at times I feel like the only thing that keeps me even thinking about having another, is that nothing "solid" has been done to prevent it. I feel like if i just go ahead and have my tubes tied, then I won't be incline to even think about it any more. Your thoughts.

I wanted mine done at age 23. I love my one and only son but I realized I am not a child person. My husband had his vasectomy done at age 27. And then I just had a hysterectomy this year. We don't regret it at all. Kids are great, just not for me. Except of course, the one I have. Love his 17y.o.ness to bits. :)
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think any age that you feel is right.
    It's a personal decision, so in my opinion, nobody's opinions matter on the subject (irony? maybe)

If a person knows 100% that it's the best choice for them, age is no matter.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It is the 75% that concerns me though..95% or higher seems ideal to me.

^ I agree with this.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want any more kids and your married and your husband agrees then I'd say go a head and do it. Why not.. if you really want another child one day, there are plenty of orphans who would love you just as any child of your own would. :)
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I am married and my husband says he supports me no matter what i choose. If i want to have another, he's in. If I'm done, he is cool with that as well.

I can't have an IUD because i have PCOS (cyst on my ovaries) as well as a history of cervical cancer. My last doctor said its not ideal and dangerous for me to have one. I have tried Implanon, which goes in your arm for 3 years but I bled for 3 months strait to the point that I passed out due to low iron levels.

I agree to wait a few more years, but i guess a part of me just wants to get it over with so that i can "move on" with the thought that its not even an option. We have already agreed that if we want to have another that we have it before we are 30.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had mine done when I was 23. I have a daughter and a son and knew that I didn't want anymore. It's a personal preference so as long as you are sure it's what you want then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get mine tied too! I wanted them tied when I had my second child. Now I only date men with vasectomies. . . JK :wink:
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was 26 when I got my tubes tied. I had two children and was done. They really tried to talk me out of it, but I held strong. I have never regretted it for one minute!!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Personally, I feel that a women shouldn't get their tubes tied at such a young age. Try waiting a few more years, and if you are 100% sure by then that you don't want another child, then go through with it.