Shoes?

Options
Hi everyone :flowerforyou: , I was wondering what brands/types of cross trainers some of you use that work well for you?

I am very overweight, but working hard at making a definite long term change in my life. I am exercising regularly, and just this week started to try to incorporate the Couch to 5k program into my exercising as well (enjoying it so far, yay!) . The challenge I am having is that the shoes I have been wearing are not meant for running. Mostly just good solid walking shoes, for outdoors mainly.(Merrells). I would like to get something that will be as supportive as possible for me now (I know, that part will get easier as I lose more weight) and be comfortable/decent for walking and running.

Any input? Thanks so much!

Replies

• karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options
    I realized after about a week of walking my good o'l trusty sketchers were not meant for walking! I went out to famous footwear and got New Balance cross trainers. They are very comfy! I usually buy wide shoes, but got these in regular and they have stretched to fit my foot perfectly and I love them.. No more sore feet while walking.. I would suggest going to any shoe store that carries all the brands and trying a bunch on and see what feels good.. Walk around the store.. etc :)
    Good Luck on your shoe journey!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I would recommend (if you have the money) to find a good sports shoe store. Not Big 5 or anything like that but a place that you can get your feet measured and they can see which direction your feet go and things like that. If you are close to one size you may want to consider going up a 1/2 size. I started training to walk a half marathon last May and bought a pair of 9 1/2, well my feet (especially my right one) swells when I walk and I ended up with a HUGE blister on the tip of my toes (I guess it's called black toe or something like that). I got a pair of 10's and I haven't had a problem since.
  • denny4
    denny4 Posts: 11
    Options
    The Physical Therapists in our hospital swear by Asics and New Balance. They said that Asics hold up a little better. You can go to http://www.asicsamerica.com and click "Shoe Fit Guide" at the bottom of the page. It will show you how to determine what type of foot you have and if you pronate or supinate (roll in or roll out) and show you the type of shoe to get.

I learned of this recently after struggling to find a pair of shoes that worked for my feet. I would buy a pair, bring them home, and within 5 minutes on the treadmill knew that they were not right for me. After using this tool, I got the pair that fit my foot type according to the website and LOVE them!

You could also call a local podiatrist and see what types of shoes they recommend.
    Happy Shoe Hunting!
  • BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    Options
    Running room is pretty good, from what I hear New Blance as the best runner for people over 200 lbs
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the input! :flowerforyou:
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My PT recs to use different shoes for different work outs. A running shoe for instance should only be used for running or a run walk. So I have a pair of Brooks that I run in. I have a pair of Mizunos that I bike in. You need a really good pair that fit well for high impact (like your C25K program or even long walks) but you could get by with less lets say on an elliptical or bike.
    All shoes fit different people. You should try and get fitted at a highly reputable store. After your 1st fit and purchase you can buy others online until you feel like you need another fitting. I have changed brands a few times depending on my weightloss, injuries and mileage