FAT ARMS FAT THIGHS---Are these your problem areas too?

Options
I am looking for friends with similar problem areas. I never had issues with a fat stomach until having 2 kids but still this spot is my easiest to lose. My main areas are legs/hips area (ok....shoot...even when I was "thinner" I had "thunder thighs" and have very large arms.....I mainly do DVDs in my living room....stay at home mom to 2 girls 7 and almost 2. Been on here for 20 months since my baby was 3 months old and have lost 62lbs. Not as quick as I would have liked.....35 more to go to get to a reasonable goal. Looking for more pals that fight with these problem areas........I am a nice gal, really! :wink:

Stacey~

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    noone?
  • rebbajay
    rebbajay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, my thighs. Always my big problem area. My stomach is my second biggest problem. I actually kinda like me arms lately, since I've been using the weights at the gym.

R
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have big upper thighs. THe rest of my legs are pretty good, but the upper thighs are bad. My arms are not bad. My stomach and upper thigh are my problems
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ugh! YES! Exactly that. Thunder thighs, and thunder upper arms. If it weren't for those two trouble zones I'd look a lot leaner :grumble:
  • schulky
    Options
    Totally. Hips, thighs, and butt. First places I gain weight and last place to lose it.
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Completely feel you on this! Right now I have quite the belly as well, but even when i was smaller, my thighs and my upper arms are thunderous! i am hoping weight training will help!

but, no, you are NOT alone!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thighs for me. just keep at it and they will slim down. slowly is better than not at all :smokin:
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have terribly fat upper arms. Big thighs too but the thighs don't bother me like the arms do. I have the fat overhang above my elbow! Ugh.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Legs, not a prob. Arms? Flabby & gross!
  • tab0423
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have had thunder thighs even before my weight became the issue. I'm not sure what the solution is, but if someone out there has the answer, please share!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Both for me but as I strength train they both are getting definition.... I'm at a point if they don't get smaller at least I can tone everything up!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I am looking for friends with similar problem areas. I never had issues with a fat stomach until having 2 kids but still this spot is my easiest to lose. My main areas are legs/hips area (ok....shoot...even when I was "thinner" I had "thunder thighs" and have very large arms.....I mainly do DVDs in my living room....stay at home mom to 2 girls 7 and almost 2. Been on here for 20 months since my baby was 3 months old and have lost 62lbs. Not as quick as I would have liked.....35 more to go to get to a reasonable goal. Looking for more pals that fight with these problem areas........I am a nice gal, really! :wink:

Stacey~

I have been there. I am 5'1" and I weighed over 170 lbs. I had all that. It really is about the calorie deficit to lose the fat. That is all it is. And it's a slow process. You can't make it happen much faster. I had the fat every where, and the cottage cheese, and I'm older so it's even uglier.

IT DOES GO AWAY WHEN YOU LOSE THE FAT, IT REALLY DOES. ITS ALL ABOUT A CALORIE DEFICIT. Not eat more, not eat less, just right calorie deficit for YOU.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

All I can do is share what worked for me. I achieved my goal at age 50 after beating my head against the wall for 15 years. Yeah anyone can do it, but I can tell you that you are up against a lot when you are older and I believe females have some unique issue to face with hormones and such. The sooner you can get a handle on it the better. DO NOT GIVE UP. As I got older and the weight piled on (and I didn't feel I was eating too much!) everyone kept telling me to give up, this is what happens when you get older. I'm small, and I didn't realize how small I was until I lost the weight. Everyone said I had big bones. I looked hefty because I worked out. Once I lost the weight I realized how small I really was and that small people don't need to eat as much as big people. HINT: If you are short you are probably small.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

It really is about calories. I tell people this all the time and they say "Well if calories are all that matter why do you eat so clean???!!" Well, because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and perform better at my sports.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

For me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

Wishing you the best!
    Bobbie
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wow.....Bobby, thanks for all the info. I am not short per say.... 5'6 1/2 for a girl, I think is tall?! I am not big boned as I have been thinner but always weighed more than my peers...I carry my weight well, I think. I weigh currently 205lbs (as of this morning, lowest was 202lbs) and wear a size 13/14 and L top.....I love food and this is my problem. I work out 5-6 days a week 20-40 minutes......I eat anywhere between 1600-1800 calories per day....I have tried lower....I was super shakey and felt ill. I NEED calories.....I need food! Starving myself won't work. I have upped my calories, lowered them, tried many a workout program, upped water, upped protein, fiber.....I guess patience is all I got left.

~Stacey
  • debsclio
    Options
    Your not alone! I have always had big thighs and Im only 5 foot 2 in which makes it worse, my arms are the same, lets be friends?
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have a pear shape... My thighs and butt are much bigger than the rest. I think strength training really does help.
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am very bottom heavy Fat *kitten* fat thighs, fat hips I have always been heavier on the bottom even when I was skinny. My arms are ok though ;)
  • 1bluemermaid
    Options
    Me too - I was hoping to find solutions . It seems so stupid why my body chooses to store fat only in my arms & legs . I never wear short sleeves , even in the summer when temps reach 110+ ! I could actually go down another size in jeans if I could fit my legs into it - it's like stuffing a sausage casing . I' be had 3 kids , so my tummy is flabby yet trim compared to the rest of me . I was wondering if those European wraps would help , or wrapping in plastic before exercising .