Compesating for Alcohol

Options
If you know that you are going to be out drinking on a certain night, do you lower your calorie intake for that day to make up for it, or do you just enjoy yourself?
Ive found that i have the habit of lowering my calories, (from my ususal 1000 down to about 700 cal) not only to compensate for the alcohol, but also quite a bit below that too even though i know im going to be burning calories by dancing and things all night. I also still make sure i squeeze in my twice daily gym workouts before i head out.
Im beginning to think that maybe i stress out about it too much, or is this what i should be doing to ensure i keep losing weight?

What do you do? And what would suggest is the best approach?

I am 20, so i want to go out with my friends quite a bit at night, but i fear its impact on my weight. At the same time i dont want to miss an opportunity for a great night!

Replies

• tishka11
    Options
    And yes, i did just realise missed the 'n' button when typing the heading haha
  • tishka11
    Options
    And then missed the 'i' - not doing too well today
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Starving yourelf and going out drinking never ends well and you're starving yourself every day so I feel like it's only a matter of time until you end up very sick or in the hospital? Perhaps I am misunderstanding you're saying you eat 1000 calories BEFORE dinner not in an entire day. If you're only eating 1000 calories in a day you have a lot more to worry about then the calories in alcohol. I don't drink anymore but when I did I would go for an extra long run but make sure I ate a GOOD dinner before going out cos otherwise I'd get drunk of my a*** and end up really sick the next day. But seriously you need to start eating more. You can have fun without drinking BTW or without getting drunk. I'm trying to live a sober life because I'm an alcoholic so my situation is different but it is possible! And sometimes it's fun to be the sober one.

Anyway seriously you should be eating at least 1200 calories in day and it's honestly MORE important to eat a good meal before you go out drinking...drinking on an empty stomach is a big no no
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you end up burning more than you actually consume. Sure, sometimes I "save" calories when I know I will have a few drinks, but not that many. I normally eat about 500 calories for lunch, so I'll eat 300 instead and maybe try to cut 100 from dinner. But at the rate you're going, you're setting yourself up to get really sick, or blackout. Then you put yourself at risk for a lot of other things. I know you've already heard it, but guys will do f*cked up things to an innocent 20 year-old who didn't eat enough before she went out.

I like dancing too so I always try to do that when I go out drinking.

If you really want to go out and drink, make sure the drinks you chose are as low-cal as possible. Instead of vodka cranberry, go for vodka and soda with a splash of lime. Take a shot of good tequila instead of drinking the entire margarita. You'll save yourself at least 100 calories plus a bunch of extra sugar.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    In your case, I might be inclined to eat a good meal before drinking so you don't end up sloshed on a weak empty stomach... this should help you hold it better and not drink as much overall. You can always work out/run it off the next day.
  • tishka11
    Options
    When i drink i only ever have vodka in diet soda anyway so its as low cal as i think i can get. 1000 cal isnt what i have for dinner, thats my daily amount

Turns out i didnt even end up drinking last night, so my daily ended up being under 700 cal

Which thus adds another problem to this dilemma - if you restrict it and dont end up drinking is that worse?
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Usually I know about our drinking plans for the night and I adjust. Usually by working out a bit more and maybe eating a bit less. But since I am on 1200 calories my general plan of attack is to do a little more working out. Lunch time I might walk or do stairs. If I have time before I go out I will add extra minutes to the elliptical or do some zumba off of youtube (and keep track with my heart monitor/calorie counter).
  • Jessamyfrm
    Options
    I'm the worst teenager ever now.. When I turned 18 I was out 3 times a week clubbing, partying and drinking.. Yes I was dancing a lot but I was also waking up too hungover the next day to workout. It also shocked me the amount of calories I was drinking each night (around 2000 alone in drinks not including the drunken kebab at 4am) so I just gave up drinking altogether.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Obviously the best thing to do is workout earlier in the day, eat a sensible dinner and then go out.

But what I usually end up doing is replacing my dinner with liquor. Not healthy in any possible way but I usually end up eating something unhealthy after drinking anyway, although I do control the portions pretty well.