Any guesses as to why I'm so RIDICULOUSLY hungry?

Options
Alright, I have a legitimate question here.

This morning, I woke up to my stomach growling loudly. You know that feeling when your stomach is totally empty? That absolutely FAMISHED feeling? Yes, that's how I've felt for most of today.

I ate a nice big breakfast, drank LOTS of water and tea, had a side salad and a healthy choice meal for lunch, sushi for dinner, and some whole grain bread with peanut butter for a snack. I went OVER on my protein, so it's not like I'm not eating substantially.

I'm very perplexed as to why I'm feeling so hungry today. Could it be that my metabolism is speeding up? Am I burning calories more efficiently or something?

I went way over on my calories for today, but I ate ONLY healthy foods and I only ate when I was feeling hungry.

Can anyone try to explain this to me? I am new to this whole fitness thing. I might need some direction/help so that I'm not feeling starved all day again!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so that we can help give you some better advice?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Only ate healthy foods? Microwave meals and sushi aren't exactly going to be filling you up.

Try more vegetables, or more food with larger volume for lower calories.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I know I'm ridiculously hungry right before and during most of my time of the month... It drives me CRAZY!!! It's a possibility... I try to make up for the calories I seem to consume and crave with extra working out time, or at least more movement.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Your body is getting used to your new regime. And hormones, stress, and exercise all have an impact. I find that I'll go through cycles like that. Just stick to your guns with the healthy choices. You're building habits now - - and you are working on retraining not only your body but your mind as well. Making the healthy choices isn't always easy but it sounds like you're committed to working at that!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    tis what happens when you are in a caloric defecit... especially for an extended perdiod of time.
  • HellYesHaley
    Options
    Sushi usually fills me up a lot, probably about 6 oz. of fresh salmon, and then the rice and veggies. And yes, the microwave meal wasn't exactly the #1 healthiest, but I work at a diner and wanted to make sure I had SOMETHING to eat that would be moderately filling/healthy during my lunch break.

I guess it's just strange since before I started eating healthier/paying attention to my caloric intake, those foods filled me up and left me satisfied. Today, my stomach has literally been growling since I woke up!
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure if this is much help but I know once it gets colder i'll start go get more hungry. And sometimes your body just needs more fuel on one day than it did the others
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Alright, I have a legitimate question here.

This morning, I woke up to my stomach growling loudly. You know that feeling when your stomach is totally empty? That absolutely FAMISHED feeling? Yes, that's how I've felt for most of today.

I ate a nice big breakfast, drank LOTS of water and tea, had a side salad and a healthy choice meal for lunch, sushi for dinner, and some whole grain bread with peanut butter for a snack. I went OVER on my protein, so it's not like I'm not eating substantially.

I'm very perplexed as to why I'm feeling so hungry today. Could it be that my metabolism is speeding up? Am I burning calories more efficiently or something?

I went way over on my calories for today, but I ate ONLY healthy foods and I only ate when I was feeling hungry.

Can anyone try to explain this to me? I am new to this whole fitness thing. I might need some direction/help so that I'm not feeling starved all day again!

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

For me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Fibeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!! =) It fills you up
  • joconnor09
    Options
    I had the same problem over the summer- worked a desk job and ate constantly, but I always seemed to be hungry! I tried adding a lot of protein, fiber, and fruit. Have you tried greek yogurt? It tastes really good (even though it looks weird at first- you just have to mix it up) and it has a ton of protein. You could always try just snacking throughout the day- having fruit and veggies so you won't blow up your calorie intake, but you won't constantly feel like your stomach is getting ready to digest itself.
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    Sushi usually fills me up a lot, probably about 6 oz. of fresh salmon, and then the rice and veggies. And yes, the microwave meal wasn't exactly the #1 healthiest, but I work at a diner and wanted to make sure I had SOMETHING to eat that would be moderately filling/healthy during my lunch break.

I guess it's just strange since before I started eating healthier/paying attention to my caloric intake, those foods filled me up and left me satisfied. Today, my stomach has literally been growling since I woke up!

I have to eat a ton of sushi to get full! And usually doesnt last long :(

I'm not saying that you are eating garbage or anything, but your meals are not sounding to be very filling. Which is why you are so hungry. Next time you have one of these days try to eat lots of "bulk" foods. really helps!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

^This.
  • HellYesHaley
    Options
    My diary is open to my friends only, but I am happy to be friends with anyone! Just add me! :D
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options

Pretty much this.

The calorie deficit is probably too large. We won't be able to tell until the diary is open. How many calories do you usually consume on any given day and also how much do you usually burn on average from exercise?
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Days like that are when I have a nice big bowl of steamed broccoli and carrots. Wash and cut the veggies into bit sized chunks, pop in the microwave for a couple of minutes and stand by it (like you have to do for popcorn haha!) When you can smell the veggies, they're done. Yummy and filling!

Sometimes I find that having something with lots of fat in it like olives or cheese is all that I need to make a difference.

These "hollow" days happen to most of us from time to time. It's hard not to go for whatever is handy. Having something you like to eat that's low calorie enough for you to eat lots of will help.
  • Playingwithfire89
    Options
    You could just take the eating disorder approach and learn to love the way an empty stomach feels. Its pretty good for weightloss, but you have to eat like 8 super small meals a day (anything bigger makes you feel sick.)
  • ToughTulip
    Options
    You could just take the eating disorder approach and learn to love the way an empty stomach feels. Its pretty good for weightloss, but you have to eat like 8 super small meals a day (anything bigger makes you feel sick.)

im sure taking an eating disorder approach is a brilliant idea.

smh -.-
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

im sure taking an eating disorder approach is a brilliant idea.

smh -.-

Place seems to be overrun with that approach but I know that is what dieting can do to us if we aren't careful.

Ok OP sending friends request if you're game :)
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am hungrier on days following a day I ate very late at night.....not sure why. Also I find when I am having those days that I need food that a nice spaghetti squash, cauliflower, and chicken breast really help to fill me up and I am not eating all the junk around me. Sometimes a cup of coffee helps curb the hunger too.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I hope this is a joke.