carbonated water

Options
i drink about one 33 oz bottle of zero calorie, zero sodium and zero sugar carbonated flavored water every day in addition to about 40-50 oz of regular water - i heard that carbonated water is bad but i'm not sure why -anybody know?

Replies

• Gailey
    Gailey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear the replies to this...as I love my carboanted water......hope it's not really bad for us !!
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Carbonated water (seltzer, or as we call it-fizzy water) does not have any negative health benefits that I know of. It is basically the only water that I drink.
    There are other drinks that look like seltzer, and sell themselves as such, but are actually flavored and sweetened with artificial sweeteners. I've grabbed them accidentally in 1 liter bottles. Icky!
  • CassieSeymour
    CassieSeymour Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "Carbonated beverages (water, soda, pop) have phosphates, which can cause calcium loss and excretion. Consumption of these beverages may be a major factor for osteoporosis as they are high in phosphates but contain virtually no calcium. This leads to lower calcium levels and higher phosphate levels in the blood." As found on http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/299005

Try drinking Crystal Light on the go packets with water to give yourself some variety, I love the pomegrante lemonade. . . There are tons of flavors to choose from and its only 5 - 10 calories depending if you make 1/2 a packet or the whole, every time. You would have to drink 11 full packets in one day for it to amount to the same amount of calories as a Coca Cola!

Good Luck!
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Typical of the internet, I can find just as many sources that say there is no proof that plain old fizzy water (water with c02 added for carbonation, no aspartame etc) is not detrimental to your bones or your health! One referenced an Italian study of women who drank seltzer for two months and women who drank plain water for 2 months. They did urine and blood tests and showed that calcium levels in both were perfectly fine.

My personal choice is to avoid artificial stuff anywhere I can, so I would choose seltzer over crystal light, but everyone finds what works for them :)
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    I grew up in a house where carbonated water/seltzer was a staple and my mom hates regular water in comparison. She recently got a bone scan at the recommendation of my uncle (a cardiologist) because he was worried about osteoporosis (not just because of the selter thing) and she passed with flying colors. I drink it a lot as well (although not as much as I'd like since the water out of the tap is free and seltzer costs $$) and don't have any issues.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I love seltzer and I use it as a treat or when I am feeling weak! I agree that seltzer is WAY better than choosing an artificial sweetner. Herbal teas are my mainstay for getting extra fluids.

Also, I invested in a good quality under the sink water purifyer (Aquasana). The better tasting water that does not have any plastic leaching issues has motivated me to drink more pure water.

I limit the seltzer only because of the phosphate issue. Interesting that there is a camp on the other side! Thanks I will feel no guilt the next time I splurge!