Running

Options
Is running the best way to shed the flab (particularly on thighs)? I've just started running and am really hoping it's the key

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Running is a very good way to shed flab EVERYWHERE... there really isn't a way to reduce flab in one certain area specifically.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Duplicate post, sorry!
  • hollyroode
    Options
    Here's what I've learned from a lot of reading. Everybodys bodies store fat in a different order. The first place that you put it on will most likely be the last place that it comes off. I have also learned that there is no way to target fat loss, you can target muscle tone but that's it. Apparently the only way to lose the flab is by doing cardio and the fat will eventually come off. Any kind of cardio is good. I have been told that running is better than using an eliptical or stationary bike because your body has to use muscles in order to keep you balanced, rather than just sitting on a bike (seemed to make sense) Like I said this is just stuff that I have learned by reading and looking into it. You could also do squats, lunges and leg lifts to try and firm up the muscle in your thighs.
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Running is good for losing weight, but also consider your age and fitness level. Running can have a very strong impact to your bones, so makes you more susceptible (?) to injury because of the jarring and smashing of the bones together. If that is the case for you, you can switch to the elliptical or bike for less bone knocking. Also a VERY GOOD pair of running shoes will help your feet a lot.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Like other posters have said. There is no such thing as spot reducing. If the body needs to burn fat, there's no way to tell it which part of the body to pull it from. Just because running primarily uses the leg muscles, doesn't mean it's going to pull the fat stores from there.

As for shedding flab from any part of your body....You have to be in a calorie deficit to do that. So you can run all you want, but if your nutrition isn't such to get you a caloire deficit...forget it.

However, running is a calorie burning furness. I completed the Couch to 5K program last fall. And now running is a way of life for me. It's like a drug. I have to do it. On days that I run I'm hard pressed to eat all the calories I need. And my legs are certainly more cut than they were 6 months ago.