OH THAT DAMN LOOSE SKIN.. WHAT TO DO.?????

Options
GOING ON A WEIGHT LOSS REGIME THE BIGGEST THING THAT WORRIES ME THE LOOSE SKIN THAT WILL HANG FROM ALL CORNERS OF THE BODY. HAVE LOST 36 POUNDS AS OF NOW AND TO FEEL THE ELASTIC DANGLER ON MY ARMS,GOING TO START DOING A BIT OF DUMB BELLS AT HOME AND PRAY IT HELPS. WITH MY MAJOR WEIGHT BEING ON CHEST AND BELLY CAN ONLY THINK OF A SURGERY AT THE LAST RESORT ONCE I HAVE ATTAINED MY TARGET OF ANOTHER 66 POUNDS. THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN THROUGH SURGERY NEED YOUR HELP AND GUIDANCE AND THOSE WHO HAVE NOT WHAT HAVE THEY ALTERNATELY RESORTED TO. I AM TOLD REGULAR OIL MASSAGES DO HELP. ANY HELP ON THIS SCORE.. ALL ON MFP YOUR VIEWS AND HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. MY MAJOR WORK OUT AS OFF NOW IS A 45 MINUTES BRSIK WALK EVERY DAY.

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    loose skin > obesity .... look man its kind of impossible for loose skin to snap back into place after EXTREME weight loss. age,genetics,lifestyle etc have alot to do with it so it varies from person to person
    what has worked for me is keeping hydrated all day long , vit E oil and a good firming lotion... but i lost around 40-50ibs so my loose skin isnt very bad , but def do have it
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ive read comments from others that they were able to avoid the surgery by doing excersizes to target toning in certain areas. I hope they see this thread.

I recall one saying mainly what she did to reduce the "apron" of tummy, was be constantly holding her tummy in...tightening those muscles as much and often as possible. Doing crunches/sit-ups, strength training for the arms and thighs.

Apparently skin is the original "memory foam" and will go back if loosing weight slowly and working at the toning.

Have to admit, im not there yet...164lbs to go yet, but im gonna prove them right. Im already sucking it in as much as i can remember.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 180 pounds and have loose skin on my thighs, stomach and arms.I have no intentions of having surgery - I did start exercising right at the beginning of my journey and have taken over 6 years to lose the weight (I still want to lose another 20-35 pounds) I decided early on I would only have the surgery if it became a health issue...for me it hasnt been....its just a cosmetic issue. I am 44 and not likely to want to wear a mini or wear a bikini lol so as long as I dress well its not a issue. Unfortunately, the way I see it, I got myself in the situation of being morbidly obese....that was my doing...while in the perfect world I would like the skin gone and able to attain the flat stomach and the absolutely awesome figure...its the scars of where I was and thats not going to magically change. Ive also been lucky in that I have had no rashs or skin irritations and it also doesnt affect me when working out.
  • vickij2
    Options
    As I began to age, I noticed my skin was losing its elasticity. I mean, sagging, wrinkling skin everywhere! Could not afford a body lift, lol. I started running and using weights. It seems like the muscle is filling in the loose skin. It is a slow process, but with consistency, does seem to work.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I hate my loose skin too! :(
  • ktzmom
    ktzmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out I would love to hear the answer. :smile:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've lost 83 and the loose skin on my arms and legs are already gone, the mid section is another story but with time I'm sure it will tighten up. Just start doing more weights and your body will get tighter.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Just be the best that you can be. I have blessed with very bad genitics and I have strech marks and loose skin from breast to knees.........but I am doing my best to fill it with muscles and love myself as I am.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have that little pooch on my stomach that wont' leave. I'm ok with myself until I'm in the shower or bathtub and have to look at it. Reminds me of an extra set of boobies..just a smaller size. But at age 50...I'm probably going to have to be satisfied with being the smallest size I've EVER been in my life and deal with the little "reminders" that I'm not 25 anymore and try to not have to be naked anymore than I have to be. SIGH

I am doing crunches and I too try to walk and sit with tightening my stomach muscles to maybe trick that skin into going away.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    its 2012... why are you yelling (caps lock)?

as the others have said, nothing will help your skin other than maybe drinking a lot of water and staying out of the sun. your skin elasticity is genetic and the longer you were obese, the more stretched out it got.
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    :sad: stop yelling at me :sad:
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Make some lamp shades.

OMG! Hilarious! If only it were that easy!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Strength training (start as early as possible), moisterise regularly and drink lots of water. These actions will help, but will not totally resolve the issue.

With regards to how much you get, and if it will improve, that all depends on age, genetics, how much weight you lose and time.

Personally, I'm in my 40's, have lost a lot, and have some loose skin around my middle. It doesn't bother me, and I wont be looking to surgery to repair the damage.

Don't use the possibility of a bit of loose skin put you off dieting, unless you plan on stripping off in public on a regular basis, not too many people will notice it.

Good luck.
  • enigmachik
    Options
    The thing about loose skin is that only you and your significant other see it. With fat, everyone sees it.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i think wherever there is stretch marks its hardewr to recover. my body is pretty dang tight everywwhere, except my belly (2 pregnancies and over 60lbs lost = lots of stretch marks) im looking into a having it removed. it just depends on ur own comfort level. some ppl can live with it, maybe im vain, but i really dont want it there. i figure if i busted my *kitten* and came this far, i shouldnt have to feel uncomfortable about my body still.
    things that have helped tho are strength training...you gott pick things up and put them down! build some muscle up to fill in that skin :D and drink water like its goin outta style! :D best of luck to ya!
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    "It rubbs the lotion on the skin"... wish I could find the clip to post it from Silence of the Lambs
    I'm wooried about it too, almost halfway to my 55 lbs mark (55 weighloss 10 lbs muscle gain thats why the math doesnt addd up on my ticker) and i can see in my chest "breasts" appearing.. hopefully weight lifting will fill them up and make them look normal. Working a lot on my shoulders in hopes that they will stretch up the skin...Weightlifing has filled out my arms and there is no sag there. I believe belly and chest are going to be the biggies.. arms...just pump them up and they should look OK.
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I worry about this all the time as well. Working out seems to be HUGE! Lotion and water, keeping it hydrated should help. I am in hopes I can keep mine under control without surgery, but I hate feeling all flabby when I start to lose weight. I just need to stick to it longer and see how it play out! Good luck to you! :)
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good advise everyone. I am starting to notice a little flap under my arms. But one I get the extra weight off any loose skin will remind me what I have overcome. It's not like I am a swim suit model right now
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    From my heaviest I am down about 200 pounds. From September, 2011 I am down 115. I have loose skin every where and because of my age, how long I was overweight and how overweight I was...my options are pretty limited. I have actually had my initial consult for a full body lift and am hoping to have it done early next year.