How to combat sugar cravings???

Options
My biggest weakness is cravings for sweet things. I especially crave sugar after eating a meal. I can feel completely full, but I will still crave something sweet afterwards. I find it really hard to dodge the biscuit/cake/chocolate aisles in the supermarkets.

Anyone got any tips on how I can curb the cravings for sweet food?

Replies

• lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Slowly lower your daily intake of sugar or it will make you crazy. Your body will crave it until you get rid of it. I slowly replaced foods high in sugar to the point now where I am at around 20 grams a day but it's not easy and some days are harder than others. The past two days have been sheer torture but you have to be determined to get rid of it. It's almost like a withdrawal of sorts. Don't rush it, just aim for less and less each day. Get as much of your sugars as you can from clean sources to start, fruits, veggies. It does get easier in time. Be aware that one sugary item will make you crave more and more so it's best when trying to get off of it to not even have one bite
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same. I craved sweet things especially after meals. My OH used to say 'how can you still be hungry?' My answer was that it had nothing to do with hunger. I couldn't go round the supermarket without coming out with loads of bars of chocolate which I had to eat.

I don't know at what point it all stopped. I read somewhere that green tea helped with cravings, so I started drinking that (I drink the flavoured kind). I also read that eating plenty of fruit and veggies helped with cravings and eating a healthy diet helped. So i did that too and overnight my cravings disappeared. I still need the willpower not to buy the sweet stuff because the habit is still there , although not the craving. The habit is easier to deal with though.

Don't know if this helps but good luck and hope you find your way of dealing with it.
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same. I craved sweet things especially after meals. My OH used to say 'how can you still be hungry?' My answer was that it had nothing to do with hunger. I couldn't go round the supermarket without coming out with loads of bars of chocolate which I had to eat.

I don't know at what point it all stopped. I read somewhere that green tea helped with cravings, so I started drinking that (I drink the flavoured kind). I also read that eating plenty of fruit and veggies helped with cravings and eating a healthy diet helped. So i did that too and overnight my cravings disappeared. I still need the willpower not to buy the sweet stuff because the habit is still there , although not the craving. The habit is easier to deal with though.

Don't know if this helps but good luck and hope you find your way of dealing with it.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I keep stocked with sugar free strawberry jello with some redi-whip. It's sweet and 10 calories. It has helped me in a pinch! Or get a skinny cow and have it for dessert....that's high in sugar though.....it's just HARD. Sugar is a drug and it smells, tastes amazing. We crave it. I struggle with it all the time....just ask my kids candy buckets....but the less you eat the less you crave it. It's really true. Try and find small dark chocolate pieces or something you can control, but still give you something sweet.