Simple maths, people. Please.

Options
13»

Replies

• erikatoth
    erikatoth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Calorie count is useless as some will eat rubbish aslong as they are under calorie goal.

nutrients is where its at.

Calorie count is useless? really? you're on the MFP website, in case you didnt notice. This iste is ALL about calorie counting. You got lost? :D:D:D
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What I've found to work for me is to pick "lightly active" to account for all my circuit training we do during PT and to cover all the trips I make up and down the stairs at work, the days we work in the warehouse and chasing my kids around.
    But I do log my running because my runs vary so much, and I will usually eat those calories back, especially if I am hungry from it.
  • erikatoth
    erikatoth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that work style is not at all indicative of "lifestyle". I see what MFP is trying to do, but its just not a perfect system.

For example,ignore weekends, and take person A.), has an active work (say, walking tour guide, walks 6/7 working hours a day, then she goes home on the tbus (2X1 hr), then spends 5 hours in front of the television , then has 8 hour sleep. Then take person B.), sitting in an office for 7 hours, then cycles to and from work (2x1hr), then after work she walks the dog for an hour, collects kids and plays with them in the playground for one hour, then cleans the house (i know, superwoman, but hear me out) for an hour then has one hour nice long heartrate-pumping sex, then sleeps for 8 hours.

according to MFP, Person A.) would be active, person B (office work) would be Sedentary. In fact, their activity level is similar. You cannot measure lifestyle activity purey on work activity. Just need to be careful, as everyone is saying here, not to double count. Be honest with yourself. This isnt about cheating.
  • The whole "eat your exercise calories" subject has been bugging me for way too long.

Let me use myself as a simple example, based on MFP calculations. Let's say that I am a very active person who exercises 5 times a week for over an hour (I wish, but let's say). I also walk to work every day 2X1 hour.

I do my MFP analysis and put my lifestyle as "active". Anyone disagreeing?

With all other details (weight, height, etc) constant, wanting to lose 1 pound a week calculation, it gives me 1750 cals/day . Wooo hoo yippe!!

Then I go on to day one. I eat 1600 calories. I have one hour runnign session (400 cals), then swim for half an hour (200), then I add 2 hours brisk walking to and from work (let's undercalculate and say it's only 200. Then I go onto MFP and add all the nice 800 extra cals as exercise. And then I have a 850 cal dinner. Because I am supposed to eat my exercise calories.

End result on MFP? I am still 100 cals under... wow, how lucky am I? I am eating 2500 calories and I am supposed to lose a pound a week - have i died and just got to heaven?

Wrong.

You are ONLY allowed to eat your exercise calories if you haven't already included exercise in your lifestyle definition! if I had put sedentary lifestyle, for a 1 pound week weight loss MFO would have given me the minimum of 1200. Then, IF I do indeed exercise and walk ads much as I said, I may, MAY be allowed to eat 1200+800 and MAY possibly still lose the weekly one pound MFP promises me.

You either add your exercise (walking included!) into your activity, OR you record your exercise on the "sedentary lifestyle" base. If you do both, you are double counting your exercise.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest. Please people stop sabotaging other people's efforts by telling them they need to eat their exercise cals.

(For background info, I am 67cm and 54 kg, my ideal weight, after MFP helped me to lose 15 kilos. I did it by sticking to 1200/day most days. No heavy exercise, no no carbs, no forbidden foods, just eating a comfortable 1200. Now I am on 1500 to maintain weight and been maintaining for 3 months now. )

Totally agree and well explained. I've had friends struggling with this for ages and the bit about double counting is exactly my words to them. When they changed, things started to shift again.

Personally I think it's better to put a lower amount of daily activity and then put each individual exercise down separately. I think it's more accurate than the generalisation of "having a more active lifestyle".

Anyway, good post :-)
  • Calorie count is useless as some will eat rubbish aslong as they are under calorie goal.

nutrients is where its at.

Calorie count is useless? really? you're on the MFP website, in case you didnt notice. This iste is ALL about calorie counting. You got lost? :D:D:D

I agree that nutrients are important for health, but I disagree that calorie counting alone won't result in weight loss. I've lost 4 stone before now purely through counting calories and did so purely through calories and not nutrition. I'm not saying it's the healthy way to do it - but it does work, and I think it's down to each individual to find a way which works best for them.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The whole "eat your exercise calories" subject has been bugging me for way too long.

Let me use myself as a simple example, based on MFP calculations. Let's say that I am a very active person who exercises 5 times a week for over an hour (I wish, but let's say). I also walk to work every day 2X1 hour.

I do my MFP analysis and put my lifestyle as "active". Anyone disagreeing?

With all other details (weight, height, etc) constant, wanting to lose 1 pound a week calculation, it gives me 1750 cals/day . Wooo hoo yippe!!

Then I go on to day one. I eat 1600 calories. I have one hour runnign session (400 cals), then swim for half an hour (200), then I add 2 hours brisk walking to and from work (let's undercalculate and say it's only 200. Then I go onto MFP and add all the nice 800 extra cals as exercise. And then I have a 850 cal dinner. Because I am supposed to eat my exercise calories.

End result on MFP? I am still 100 cals under... wow, how lucky am I? I am eating 2500 calories and I am supposed to lose a pound a week - have i died and just got to heaven?

Wrong.

You are ONLY allowed to eat your exercise calories if you haven't already included exercise in your lifestyle definition! if I had put sedentary lifestyle, for a 1 pound week weight loss MFO would have given me the minimum of 1200. Then, IF I do indeed exercise and walk ads much as I said, I may, MAY be allowed to eat 1200+800 and MAY possibly still lose the weekly one pound MFP promises me.

You either add your exercise (walking included!) into your activity, OR you record your exercise on the "sedentary lifestyle" base. If you do both, you are double counting your exercise.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest. Please people stop sabotaging other people's efforts by telling them they need to eat their exercise cals.

(For background info, I am 67cm and 54 kg, my ideal weight, after MFP helped me to lose 15 kilos. I did it by sticking to 1200/day most days. No heavy exercise, no no carbs, no forbidden foods, just eating a comfortable 1200. Now I am on 1500 to maintain weight and been maintaining for 3 months now. )

Totally agree and well explained. I've had friends struggling with this for ages and the bit about double counting is exactly my words to them. When they changed, things started to shift again.

Personally I think it's better to put a lower amount of daily activity and then put each individual exercise down separately. I think it's more accurate than the generalisation of "having a more active lifestyle".

Anyway, good post :-)

Amen sister and brother...

I have to admit I opted for the Sedentary option, and I put down my specific exercise (and currently battle with the whole FitBit adjustment debacle at the moment)... but because when I started on this site, I was only JUST starting to get back to exercise ... it seemed to work. Now after a recurring knee injury... back at the beginning of the exercise regime [/pauses to howl in anguish and all round grumpiness] ... but the cal awareness (that has resulted in better balanced counting) HAS resulted in loss for me... so Iza Happz.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that work style is not at all indicative of "lifestyle". I see what MFP is trying to do, but its just not a perfect system.

For example,ignore weekends, and take person A.), has an active work (say, walking tour guide, walks 6/7 working hours a day, then she goes home on the tbus (2X1 hr), then spends 5 hours in front of the television , then has 8 hour sleep. Then take person B.), sitting in an office for 7 hours, then cycles to and from work (2x1hr), then after work she walks the dog for an hour, collects kids and plays with them in the playground for one hour, then cleans the house (i know, superwoman, but hear me out) for an hour then has one hour nice long heartrate-pumping sex, then sleeps for 8 hours.

according to MFP, Person A.) would be active, person B (office work) would be Sedentary. In fact, their activity level is similar. You cannot measure lifestyle activity purey on work activity. Just need to be careful, as everyone is saying here, not to double count. Be honest with yourself. This isnt about cheating.

common sense comes into the picture when choosing which lifestyle you fit into on myfitnesspal for both scenarios. i'm not really sure why this is even a thread to be honest.