Potassium...

harvo
harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
Good morning everyone. I am hoping you can help me, last night in my marathon of basketball games, (I only reffed 2 games but good golly were they long), I started to get cramps in my calves. What foods are a good source of potassium? I am a diabetic and have chronic pancreatits so if it is low fat and low carb it is even better?

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Good morning everyone. I am hoping you can help me, last night in my marathon of basketball games, (I only reffed 2 games but good golly were they long), I started to get cramps in my calves. What foods are a good source of potassium? I am a diabetic and have chronic pancreatits so if it is low fat and low carb it is even better?

I'm not sure there ARE foods that are rich in potassium, but low in fat and carbs...For occasional use, you might be better off with a potassium supplement. My urologist has me on about 2500mg a day to help prevent kidney stones.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    this reminded me i need potassium asap!! def supplement it
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Tomatoes, lots of herbs, mushrooms!, spinach, kale, dried apricots, catfish, lean meats, marmite, mollasses, whey powder...
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    I have a few dried apricots, 6 to 8 is about 40g and it's really high in Potassium and fibre and has 20 carbs for 40g.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Banana's. Or supplement it.
  • Brocilli and Potato skins not the white meat of the potato
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    I'm diabetic too, and take potassium supplements daily to prevent leg cramps. If I forget even one night, I pay for it. :(
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    FWIW... I've been hearing more and more that cramps can't simply/directly be linked to things like potassium (electrolytes in general) and hydration as is typically believed.

Still researching though, so take it for what it's worth at this point.
  • redwolf6
    redwolf6 Posts: 17 Member
    Low sodium V8
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I was just looking that up recently because I am always low in potassium. Some of the suggestions were: avocados, oranges, bananas, pears, cantalope, dry roasted peanuts, kiwi, potatoes, honeydew, raisins, milk, spinach, plain yogurt, tomato sauce, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, kidney beans, black beans and some fresh meat.

I know those aren't all low fat and low carb but you might be able to work some of them in. The pumpkin and beans might be a good place to start.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Be careful if you use suppliments...I useed to take a potassium suppliment and one day took 2 tabs, and got heart symptoms...when I went to the ER they said I had a heart attack!!! now, I just eat bananas...
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member

Although not low glycemic, raisins are high in potassium as are bananas. If you put those in your protein shake, it will make the total low glycemic or, at most, medium. What you need are electrolytes - not just potassium. Coconut water has all that and is low glycemic. Of course, Gatorade does the trick in an emergency. And, chocolate milk is also good.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    FWIW... I've been hearing more and more that cramps can't simply/directly be linked to things like potassium (electrolytes in general) and hydration as is typically believed.

Still researching though, so take it for what it's worth at this point.

I would love to see what else they find out about this. I am sure I could have used more fluids since I was at a meeting at work all day.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    tomatoes, bananas, avocado, coffee, cantaloupe.

You can Google foods high in potassium there are many. I changed my records so that I can see how much potassium I am getting from certain foods.

Lots of water will also help the cramps.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    I absolutely agree that dehydration contributes to the cramping, but for me, potassium (and magnesium - I forgot to mention that earlier) supplements are essential.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Most vegetables, fruit and fruit juices, unprocessed cereals