THANKSGIVING DINNER

Options

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My first year of healthier eating I ate really small portions of TDay food and stayed good.

Then I decided that sucked balls and last year I ate whatever I wanted. It didn't have any long term effect on me other than giving me an awesome TDay dinner to think back on and love. So that's what I plan on doing this year too.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I will probably splurge for Turkey day and eat however much I want of anything I want...

But since we are cooking and staying at home incorporate (as well as some traditional foods) some new, healthier, recipes just to have fun cooking and try something new.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I dont "splurge" on a day to day basis. I dont really have cheat days or meals. Thanksgiving wont be much different. Im not a junk food junkie on any level and I dont cook holiday meals that arent healthy on every / any level. I dont make things like candied yams, or tons of desserts or pies et al.

I DO make a killer turkey dressing and a butternut squash that'd make ya slap yer grammaw....we have several vegies so the kids each get their fave and then they take home any leftovers. This year may be a tad different because Im now single and living alone again. Im not sure how that's gonna go over just yet.......but I AM a SURVIVOR!! Next to being just about the best damn Mom in the world, it's what I do best :drinker:
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking forward to having 2 days off and trying a few new healthier things :)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 3-day trip to Vegas, so my "cheating" for the month is done. I'm going to do turkey breast, small side of potatoes and some veggies with no butter. I may have a small slice of pie because I plan to work out that morning, so I should be good.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and have SOME control..Fill one plate, have some pie or something and keep it to that..but I will not beat myself if I have extras..prob think its best to have a smaller breakfast, and have Thanksgiving eats throughout the day..
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Oh man I was struggling with this one and have been for a couple weeks. I have decided I am gonna just ENJOY this day with my family and eat what I want. I am gonna have portion control and I will be doing a HUGE calorie burn before I sit down to have dinner.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just eat all the foodz!! It's one day, you'll be fine

I'm with you on this one. I also plan on logging everything, just to satisfy my curiousity. Yes, I'm bringing my food scale to thanksgiving dinner. Everyone needs a hobby, right?
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I dont tend to have any problem eating healthy at thanksgiving, my family has always offered really nice items appetizers generally are shrimp cocktail, deviled eggs, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, pickle tray , raw veggie and fruit platters, dinner is obviously going to have turkey and we either have a ham or roast with that, garden salad, sauted brussel sprouts with walnuts, baked acorn squash, ... so far so good and yes we do have the other stuff, mashed potatoes and stuffing, rolls, a variety of pies, cheesecake and cookies. I pick only one of the carbs I prefer stuffing over potatoes since I dont tend have that any other time of year I love it and dont deny myself a normal portion. I will eat a small piece of pie. Those are about the two things I treat myself too but the rest is very healthy. I dont drink alcohol so that wont add calories there either. I just take a nice long walk before dinner and usually workout extra the day before to cover any overages the next day.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I will track everything just like I have for the past 9 months. My problem is not Thanksgiving Dinner, I can manage that just fine. It's all the snack food through out the day. I want to eat it all! I won't, but I want to!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this long enough that I can shave a lot of calories from my recipes so that no one notices. Example if a pie calls for a cup of sugar no one notices 3/4 of a cup. The product the same. I use egg beaters for all the eggs.
    I have never taken the time recalculate the calorie count . I just know it is lower.
    After the meal is cooked I just enjoy the day.

But I still struggle with portions.:blushing:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I would love to try out healthier versions of my favorite Thanksgiving foods, but unfortunately i have to work that day so I don't be doing the cooking.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I will be partaking in plenty of spinach dip yummmmmmm other than that turkey and mashed potatoes mmmmmmm
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I am going to prepare what I usually prepare. I will have lots more veggies on my plate, spoonful of mac and cheese, spoonful of dressing, spoonful of candidad yams and two bites of sweet potatoe pie.... I will have a taste of everything but hit the gym before work that day and after... have to check the gym's schedule. I'm at a 24 hour gym but sure they close early or something on that day.
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    I hate most of the savory traditional holiday foods so I haven't ever had much of a problem avoiding them. I tend to stick to the turkey with a salad and maybe some sweet potato for dinner, which isn't much different from a normal day for me.

The thing that kills me is dessert. I have such a sweet tooth I could probably eat an entire pumpkin pie by myself. That said I'll probably just budget my calories, and try not to worry about the fact that I'll most likely be getting half of them from sugary carbs.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the filling the plate with mostly veggies and little bits of the not so good stuff approach. I'm running a 10k that morning so I'll have some exercise calories to eat but I don't want to go overboard. I am also in charge of cooking that day so I'm making sure there are things I'd eat normally eat.
  • Ashsmith07
    Ashsmith07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been scoping out some healthier recipe alternatives to the traditional thanksgiving day recipes on cookinglight.com. I figure this way it's a good compromise between the thanksgiving favorites I love, and keeping my meal light. That being said, I'm still preparing myself for an intense workout the day before and after thanksgiving...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'll be eating all of the stuffing I can reach. Everything else takes a back seat to my mom's amazing stuffing. Heavenly.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have been good about my eating habits since 3/12/12. I am going to eat sensibly for my portion sizes on Thanksgiving, but I will go over my calorie limit most likely. I will make the usual Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Vegetable sides that are more healthy. My daughter and I are going to make mini pies (in mini muffin pan), so I will even indulge in dessert. I have not had even a glass of wine since last Thanksgiving, and I plan to have a glass of a good Riesling with my meal.
    I am doing a 5K Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning (walking), my first ever organized event like this.
    I am so ready for this day! Looking forward to it!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    People put more stress into this than anything. This is a time for fellowship with friends and family. Not worrying about macros or your myftinesspal account. You all need to look at the long term here. 2 days, a week, etc WILL NOT hurt you in the long run. Sure you may gain some bloat but so what.