Treadmill or Elliptical??

Options
AmyfromBama
AmyfromBama Posts: 125 Member
Hello! I was wondering for those of you who have tried both? Which one did/do you like best? Treadmill or Elliptical???? Thanks!!!!

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Treadmill.

I can't stand the Elliptical..
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i've had knee problems since i was 18, so an elliptical works better for me because of that.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Elliptical - better burn for the effort you put out, IMO - also, less intense on your joints.
  • Montegue42
    Options
    I find I can run outside with no pain, but the treadmill is AGONY for me (I have a natural muscle spasm/have had achilles tendon lengthening...so its just the way I'm built), so I go with the elliptical when I have to work out inside (alas, Wisconsin winter is coming and I feel that will be more often than not in the coming months).
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I find I can run outside with no pain, but the treadmill is AGONY for me (I have a natural muscle spasm/have had achilles tendon lengthening...so its just the way I'm built), so I go with the elliptical when I have to work out inside (alas, Wisconsin winter is coming and I feel that will be more often than not in the coming months).
    Agreed. I hate running on the treadmill. Why run when you aren't getting anywhere. If I must do cardio inside I do with the elliptical or the treadmill at an incline and a low speed.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Elliptical - better burn for the effort you put out, IMO - also, less intense on your joints.

^That.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I love the eliptical. I tolerate the treadmill.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    The eliptical is easier on my joints. An added bonus is that I can speed up my pace on an eliptical easier than a treadmill. Makes interval exercises much easier. IMO, you can also burn more calories with your arms moving more especially if you can control the resistance on the arms. **I prefer the treadmill when doing a cool down period.
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Elliptical! Works out your arms & legs/butt!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A good elliptical because of the reasons many have stated already - joints, versatility (forwards, backwards, more sever inclines, customized programs, resistance adjustments, etc.)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    I love both. I like doing speed work on the treadmill, but not steady state cardio.
    Ellptical great for legs and butt too.
  • ejensen86
    Options
    Eliptical - I have shin splints and ankle problems + I can't get my head into a good place to do the treadmill for longer than 5 minutes
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I personally hate elliptical machines...just feels awkward to me.

Much rather just run on a treadmill or better a track.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. I can't stand the treadmill.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say try using one for several days at a gym and then try using the other for several days. The elliptical does give a better burn but after about three days on it my knees were absolutely killing me.

I can do the treadmill every single day without a single problem.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Elliptical.
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. You can set it at the spead and have to keep up instead of trying to push yourself. I get distracted and slow down on the Elliptical
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eliptical - I have shin splints and ankle problems + I can't get my head into a good place to do the treadmill for longer than 5 minutes

I hear so many people say the eliptical is easier on knees, joints ankles...but the eliptical kills my ankles. I have no problems on the treadmill. I have the TV on next to the treadmill & pass the time watching.
  • SueCBrannon
    SueCBrannon Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I feel the same way!!