before or after breakfast?

Options
Is it better for your metabolism to exercise before breakfast or after? I can either eat and then bike to the bus stop, or bike to the bus stop and then eat when I get to work. Does it matter? is there a difference?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There is no metabolic difference, do whichever you prefer.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've read both pros and cons to fasted cardio. On the one hand fasted cardio is supposed to burn fat stores because you don't have any food in your system to give you fuel. The problem is that you can lose some muscle mass, as well.

The latest articles I've read have advised for people to at least get some BCAAs into their system to preserve muscle mass. (These are from websites that sell supplements, though.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Neither is better for your metabolism. It is a personal thing as to what feels better.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Don't think it makes the least bit of difference. I eat a banana before just because I'm up very early and I don't want my tummy growling while I'm working out. MAYBE some of the sugar from the banana makes it in to my system before the work out is over...don't really know.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was always told to eat first, but I've been doing that so long, I can't remember the reason why.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Have to agree. No measureable difference. It's personal preference.