Wine

Options
Is it okay to factor in calorie wise 1-2 glasses of red wine every now and then? I am sure it is, but does it hinder weight loss even if you fall within you calorie target, or should I try to avoid it all together? What is an actual serving of wine? The glasses I have are huge and gaurentee they don't count as 1 serving lol. Also, is all red wine calories the same? Because we make home made wine so no idea how many calories.

Thanks! Happy WEEKEND!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One serving is generally 5 oz. I drink wine nearly every night with dinner and it didn't stop me from losing or maintaining that loss. And it hasn't kept me from improving fitness (increasing endurance and lowering BF).

I do try to keep the rest of my diet pretty healthy since I'm drinking so many empty calories though. Not too many sweets, lots of vegetables.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love my wine and will not give it up! As far as I know, wine has not had a negative impact on my weight loss efforts. I factor it into my calorie goal and enjoy a glass or two most evenings with or after dinner. A typical serving is 5 oz at approximately 125 calories per serving. We purchase wine from a lot of local wineries so it was difficult to find exact calorie data; I use http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list to get info on a specific type when trying something new.

Good luck to you & enjoy your wine! :drinker:
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of wine every night. It hasn't stopped me from losing weight at all. I'll occasionally sip on a Jack & Coke too. I just factor it in my exercise for the day...maybe go for another 10-15 min or so.
  • ellabelle0310
    ellabelle0310 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    While many will say that any alcoholic beverage will hinder weight loss, I haven't had any trouble with drinking a glass of wine every now and then. About 5 oz has between 100-140 calories, with drier wines being at the low end while dessert wines have higher sugar content and more calories. Just be sure to figure it into your calories! Also, red wine has several added health benefits...It can improve cardiovascular function and is full of antioxidants!
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I actually saw my heart surgeon last week (I have an ASD that needs repaired) and he mentioned red wine (a glass, not a bottle lol) per day has great benefits. I just wasn't sure about the weight loss aspect. thanks again, cheers ladies!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I have wine almost every night. Usually red but sometimes white depending on dinner. I've lost 42 pounds, so, yes, it can be done!
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I drink wine and/or cocktails occasionally and hasn't hindered me at all.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Always been a healthy weight. Log every ounce of wine and you will be a-okay.

Like everything else it's about moderation. There's health benefits in 1 glass of wine/day too.

We even make our own wine at home. :):)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    When I had more to lose drinking did not affect me as badly. It kills building muscle, absolutely destroys it so I avoid it like the plague lol but if your just trying to lose some weight I can assure you that the impact is relitively small. I gave up drinking a while ago due to more personal reasons than weight loss, but for a good chunk of my start I was a daily drinker and was still losing at a good and healthy rate.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A glass of red wine has also been shown to help raise your good cholesterol! So cheers!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Regular wine drinker here! :drinker:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You should be fine, though it could cause you to retain a little more water (depending on how your body responds), so it'd just affect the scale a bit, but not your actual weight loss. Of course, a bag of chips causes water retention, so it's neither here nor there.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both red wine or a cocktail (usually a martini) daily! It never hindered my weight loss or my maintenance. I just make sure it fits into my calories/carbs for the day and I eat completely clean/organic/real foods (never processed junk).

I keep reading over and over that women who drink moderately are usually lower in weight than other women, but not men, doesn't work that way for them. And yeah, it's eating all the higher carb garbage that is what gets stored as fat, so take care when you enjoy the glass of wine. I would also recommend actually measuring it out at home because you are so right, the glasses are so big today!

If you go to a thrift store, you can always find wine glasses from "back in the day" when they were just made smaller...sorta fun!

:drinker:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I drink wine and the occasion cape cod myself. I see nothing wrong with an occasional one. My issue is my pain is daily (body pain, back mostly, neck, headaches daily, etc) and drinking is a quicker fix than pills. Not a good one I'm sure, but I don't like taking pain killers or nsaids to much.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    thanks ladies.. I really enjoyed my glass of red wine with dinner tonight :)
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have 2 glasses of wine a night. I count one glass as 6oz. I'm losing weight! I look forward to my wine...I need it....being a mom is stressful! :)
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much definitely attributed to my gradual weight gain. But now that I'm actually keeping track I've been able to have a glass or two several nights a week and keep it in my calories to lose weight. Just be careful if you are on a very low calorie diet. If you're only consuming 1200 calories a day and 100-200 of those are booze it can be hard to get adequate nutrition.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    We usually have a glass of red with most meals (European heritage) and all I do is make sure I have it logged and accounted for in my diary. To get around the vagueness of 'a glass' I filled my wine glass with water up to the usual level we have it at and measured how many mLs there was and logged it to the mL and saved it under the my meals option so I don't have to look it up each night. I made a section in my diary called alcohol so I could see instantly how much alcohol I have consumed if we have a wine or a night out.

I'm 44 and I figure that if anything starting going wrong with the body beautiful at some stage then I will have a printable record for my doctor to see immediately my diet and alcohol consumption without me trying to remember what I eat etc.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 - 5 miles most days to earn my wine. My husband prefers wine spritzers (1/2 white wine to 1/2 diet ginger ale or sprite zero) Makes those calories stretch out. I WAS a little upset to realize my favorite wine glass holds 15 ounces which is equal to 3 servings so 315 calories per glass.