BMI bs

Options
what is a bmi calculator doing on this site?!?!?!?!??!? bmi is RIDICULOUS for EVERYONE! anything that doesnt factor in your muscle, body frame and physical fitness is not reliable. i remember them calculating my bmi in gradeschool and making me feel horrible....technically im obese even though im a size 14. in high school there was a guy that worked out all the time and was built so to speak and because it said he was morbidly obese they sent a letter home to his parents.....anyone else agree? it makes me mad that schools use it

Replies

• Hibpshman1
    Options
    In the last few years there has been a move toward a couple different types of BMI calculations. Now there is an "athletic BMI" that takes into account more things like muscle mass. For the majority BMI can be a good indicator of approximately where we are, but it is just one piece of information. Take the BMI calculation, add a healthy dose of "looking in the mirror" and decide if you are where you should be.

I agree, schools should not be blindly using a formula to categorize students. Leave that up to the pediatric nurse or doctor when the child goes in for a check-up.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    as long as a person is aware of what BMI is, it's just another tool to use. BMI isn't satan, it's just a measurement. No, it doesn't take into account factors like high volume of muscle mass, or larger bone structure, or large fluid volumes (as in women who are pregnant), but still, if you use it correctly, BMI has it's uses.

Just as waist to hip ratio has it's uses, just as body fat % has it's uses, just as VO2 Max has it's uses, just as resting heart rate has it's uses, BMI is one measurement that can be taken into account.

I would say that the measurement Weight is the worst possible indicator of health there is (yes, worse than bmi) but even weight has it's uses.

Actually, I have a tool that I built that takes into account 9 different measurements, weights them by accepted scientific standards for health, and gives you what I call a Total Body Health Number that is relatively accurate to where you are health wise (rated for age, and sex). It's not ready for public consumption yet, but when it is, BMI is one of the measurements (although it only counts for a small percent of the total score). It's a web based tool, and it actually works quite well, I just have no graphical skills, and don't have the time to make it look pretty enough for people to use.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My daughter, an active 5 yo who is taller than mosst 3rd graders, is classified as obese according to the BMI chart. However, when I took her to the doc, he was very quick to assure me that her height (also in the 99th%) and weight (95%) complimented each other and I should ignore the BMI chart says. At that point I had no idea what he was talking about. Afterward I looked up a children's BMI chart. My DD is considered obese! Yes, she wears clothes that kids 3 and 4 yrs older than her wear, but she wears size 3 or 4 shoes, and is only a few inches shorter than some of my 7th grade students.

Another example, according to the BMI, DH should be at 166lbs. Hmmm, he started his journey at 330lb. It is possible for him to lose a lot of weight, but with his musclature (think football lineman) this is highly improbable.

BMI is not the whole picture. Measurements are more accurate, waist, body fat, etc.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am a size 8-10 and believe it or not, if I just have to rely on the BMI - I am very much obese! I am 5'2" and I am about 50 pounds way over my ideal weight. What can I do, even when I was a size 2, I was still even on the ceiling of my ideal weight if basing it on my height. It is crazy. Even my OB was shocked when she saw my weight now - you know what I mean - because I do not look ANYWHERE CLOSE to what that scales are telling me. hmmmm....
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    My daughter, an active 5 yo who is taller than mosst 3rd graders, is classified as obese according to the BMI chart. However, when I took her to the doc, he was very quick to assure me that her height (also in the 99th%) and weight (95%) complimented each other and I should ignore the BMI chart says. At that point I had no idea what he was talking about. Afterward I looked up a children's BMI chart. My DD is considered obese! Yes, she wears clothes that kids 3 and 4 yrs older than her wear, but she wears size 3 or 4 shoes, and is only a few inches shorter than some of my 7th grade students.

Another example, according to the BMI, DH should be at 166lbs. Hmmm, he started his journey at 330lb. It is possible for him to lose a lot of weight, but with his musclature (think football lineman) this is highly improbable.

BMI is not the whole picture. Measurements are more accurate, waist, body fat, etc.

specifically, by definition, children, pregnant women, and people with large volumes of muscle should not use BMI, that's basically a rule of thumb. Because of the way BMI works. You cannot use BMI as an accurate measurement of childhood obesity. Body fat % must be the main measure for children.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I am a size 8-10 and believe it or not, if I just have to rely on the BMI - I am very much obese! I am 5'2" and I am about 50 pounds way over my ideal weight. What can I do, even when I was a size 2, I was still even on the ceiling of my ideal weight if basing it on my height. It is crazy. Even my OB was shocked when she saw my weight now - you know what I mean - because I do not look ANYWHERE CLOSE to what that scales are telling me. hmmmm....

which probably means you have dense muscle mass. What is your waist to hip ratio? What is your body fat %, what is your resting heart rate? Can you return to resting heart rate within 10 minutes of a submaximal cardio workout (about 80 to 85% Max HR)? These are all other ways to help measure fitness.

That's all I'm saying, BMI by itself is a very broken tool, BMI paired with 6 or 7 other tools, can be quite effective.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    By the way, Banks, I just want to say that I always appreciate your comments when I see them. You seem to be quite knowledgable, and I appreciate hearing your take on things.