Vegetarians/ Pescatarians with higher-protein diets?

Options
So I have just realized that every day I am getting way too much sugar, and wayyy to little protein.

I am a 90% vegetarian, and I eat fish on occasion (I don't want to do it every day.)

Does anyone follow a higher protein vegetarian diet? Anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance. You all rock!

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, Protein bars, and eggs are good sources of protein.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Beans and nuts as well. Just be careful of the high fat content. Good luck! :)
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a diary that's open that I could scope out? I need lots of ideas! Lol.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, nuts, legumes, protein powder, braggs aminos <---this is a liquid protein that MFP doesn't read as a protein (so it doesn't end up in your numbers) but it is a good one.
  • enewsome2
    Options
    Quinoa, nuts, legumes, protein powder, braggs aminos <---this is a liquid protein that MFP doesn't read as a protein (so it doesn't end up in your numbers) but it is a good one.

Thanks. What do you do with the braggs?
  • rainbowharpy
    Options
    Today I had 3 eggs (w/ veggies), 1 faux sausage patty and a non fat greek yogurt (blueberry.) That's 42 grams of protein and 450 calories in my breakfast and subsequent mid day snack. If I decided to go vegan, I'd probably replace the eggs with tofu scramble, which has a comparable amount of protein.
  • avocad0
    Options
    I started my day with:

2 slices of Food For Life, 7 sprouted grains bread (toasted)
    1 tablespoon of Almond butter (fresh from WholeFoodsMarket)
    10 mashed blackberries
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am pescetarian and I consume a good amount of protein daily. My protein sources are mostly cottage cheese, eggs, goat cheese, nuts, beans, chickpeas, lentils, protein powder. I occasionaly eat fish which raises my protein consumption like crazy. There is almost 50 g protein in 200 g fish (one fillet). White fish is low in fat. Also shrimps. I also love mussels. Mushrooms are higher in protein than vegetables.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    While I am not vegetarian I eat vegetarian a lot of days....but I try to get ~ 50% of my diet from raw fruits & vegetables per day

I use hemp protein in my oatmeal (steel cut or gluten free Bob's Red Mill Tasty Hot Cereal); it is high in protein and fiber (no sugar); I also use it in my smoothies which I make with greens or spinach, protein powder, 2 tsp raw almond butter, and usually some berries.

I made a great black bean soup that was featured in Runner's World magazine this month that is chocked FULL of protein.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Dairy works well. :)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a diary that's open that I could scope out? I need lots of ideas! Lol.

I'm working on getting more protein (and I am also a vegetarian, eat fish a couple times a month), feel free to check out my diary for ideas! Last couple days have been a little low on that, fyi.

I found that cottage cheese is a GREAT way to boost your protein intake. Unfortunately, it made me sick so I can't eat that much of it, but if you can, it's a great idea.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options

Thanks. What do you do with the braggs?
    It's like soy sauce so you can use it that way. Personally, I love it sprayed on some popcorn--yum.
  • enewsome2
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. :)
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Protein shake, milk, curd, Pulses, Beans, Soya and Egg Whites will easily help you get decent amount of protein in. I for instance am a vegetarian (I do eat egg occasionally and consume milk products) and I don’t have any problem meeting my protein requirement. Though I am not really on a high protein diet as of now, but have done that in past as well.
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I get about 80 - 100 on protein a day and am in the same boat (though maybe cutting fish due to strange allergies popping up... sigh.)

I use isopure chocolate protein powder some times and have high energy protein bars others- but not a protein supplement every day.

I'll add you and we can compare ideas!
  • Errrica91
    Errrica91 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Soy meat is an amazing source of protein and it's very popular with vegetarians (at least that's what my vegetarian friends claim:D)...

100g/1 cup of soy contains:
    15.2g of protein
    6.1g of carbs
    3.0g of fat
    + NO cholesterol and NO sugars AT ALL!:)
    And lots of sodium and potassium..:-)

I love it and eat almost every day even though I'm no way vegetarian:) Give it a try!:-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - Milk
    - Greek yogurt
    - 'fake' meat like seitan, quorn and soy based products
    - edamame
    - whey protein
    - hemp seeds
    - nutritional yeast
    - eggs (whites if you want to cut the cals)

I get over 120g of protein, often over 140g, usually without protein powder and I am a full vegetarian - it's not that hard to do.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    - Milk
    - Greek yogurt
    - 'fake' meat like seitan, quorn and soy based products
    - edamame
    - whey protein
    - hemp seeds
    - nutritional yeast
    - eggs (whites if you want to cut the cals)

I get over 120g of protein, often over 140g, usually without protein powder and I am a full vegetarian - it's not that hard to do.

This exactly pretty much. I do use whey protein powder, though! Also cheese, mmmmm. And cottage cheese! I try to get over 100g of protein a day and I have better days than others but I hit it most of the time. It's usually when I'm being lazy and not eating enough that I don't - it's not too tough.
  • reptilegrrl
    reptilegrrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I personally caution against relying on fake meats or on soy for your protein needs.

I was a vegetarian for a very long time (20+ years) and ate higher protein than most, but it still wasn't enough for my current protein needs :(
  • cmz311
    cmz311 Posts: 15
    Options
    bump