Awesome No Calorie Noodles : Shirataki / Miracle Noodles

Options
peterdt
peterdt Posts: 820 Member
THIS ARTICLE COPIED FROM FITDAY.COM. I HAVE ONE BAG OF THESE ALMOST EVERY DAY AT LUNCH IN MY PHO NOODLE SOUP. VERY LOW CAL AND VERY FILLING. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! LITTLE CALORIE SAVINGS ADD UP TO A LOT OVER TIME! I BUY MINE FROM WHOLE FOODS AND/OR A LOCAL ASIAN STORE. CAN BE PURCHASES FOR JUST OVER A $1 WHEN ON SALE, BUT USUAL PRICE IS $1.69 AT WHOLE FOODS AND A BIT MORE AT OTHER STORES. ALSO CAN BE PURCHASED FROM AMAZON.COM. IF YOU LOVE AND MISS PASTA THIS IS AN AWESOME SUBSTITUTE. IN MY OPINION IT IS NOT QUITE AS GOOD AS OLD SCHOOL NOODLES, BUT STILL VERY GOOD AND MOST PEOPLE TRYING THEM WITHOUT KNOWING ABOUT IT WOULD NOT KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT NORMAL NOODLES. HOWEVER, THEY MUST BE PREPARED CORRECTLY. NOT HARD TO PREPARE CORRECTLY, BUT IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE (READ BELOW). ALSO, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE TOFU SHIRATAKU NOODLES. 40 CALORIES IN AN 8 OZ SERVING BUT IT MAKES IT MUCH MORE PASTA LIKE AND IN MY OPINION NO COMPARISON TO THE RUBBERY 0 CALORIE ONES. SORRY FOR YELLING IN CAPS, JUST MAKING MY COPY AND THE WEBSITE COPY DISTINCT FROM EACH OTHER. :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :smooched:

Even if you're following a low calorie or low carbohydrate diet, you don't have to give up your favorite pasta dishes thanks to shirataki noodles. These noodles are great because they're extremely low in calories, contain no fat or cholesterol and are easy to prepare.

Nutrition Statistics

Shirataki noodles come in two forms, tofu shirataki and regular shirataki. Both types contain a yam flour base. The difference with tofu shirataki is the addition of a small amount of tofu. Shirataki noodles contain 0 calories per serving because they are almost entirely made of fiber. Tofu shirataki noodles contain 20 calories per serving because of the addition of tofu. Many people prefer tofu shirataki noodles to regular shirataki noodles because the texture is more pasta-like. Regardless of which you choose, both types make great pasta substitutes. You can purchase shirataki noodles in a variety of pasta shapes, including angel hair, spaghetti and fettuccine.

A Healthy Alternative to Pasta

Pasta dishes are usually very high in calories. A 1 cup serving of cooked spaghetti contains a whopping 221 calories alone, and 1 cup of pasta probably won't fill you or keep your stomach feeling satisfied. When you add in additional high calorie ingredients, like heavy sauces, the calories quickly add up. Tofu shirataki noodles contain a mere 20 calories and 3 g of carbohydrates per serving. With nutrition statistics this great, you can eat shirataki noodles every day without gaining weight.

Preparing Shirataki Noodles

The trick to enjoying shirataki noodles is to take the time to thoroughly rinse and dry them. Right out of the package, shirataki noodles have a strong, unpleasant odor and a slimy texture. You might enjoy shirataki noodles fresh out of the package, but there are a few steps you can take to greatly improve the taste, smell and texture of the noodles. Thoroughly rinse the noodles in cold running water. It's best to do this with a strainer or a colander. Dry the noodles with a few paper towels or a clean dish towel. Finally, cook the noodles for a minute in the microwave and then dry the noodles once more. You'll notice the noodles no longer smell and their texture is much firmer than before.

Shirataki Noodle Recipes

You can substitute shirataki noodles in all your favorite recipes that call for pasta. Shirataki noodles come packed in water, however, so there is no need to boil them before eating. Shirataki noodles work particularly well in cheesy, creamy dishes. Because the noodles are so low in calories and fat, a little bit of cheese or cream in the sauce improves the overall taste and texture of the dish.

If you love eating pasta but avoid eating calorie-rich foods, you should try shirataki noodles. Shirataki noodles might take a little getting used to because the taste and texture is different from pasta, but remember, you'll be saving tons of calories by making the switch to shirataki noodles.

Replies

• laura_lynn66
    Options
    I just printed this out..thanks...I've heard about these noodles..I'm a big pasta lover and have wanted to try these! Now, I just have to find them, locally.
  • peterdt
    Options
    I just printed this out..thanks...I've heard about these noodles..I'm a big pasta lover and have wanted to try these! Now, I just have to find them, locally.

I JUST ADDED THIS TO MY POST, MAYBE YOU MISSED IT:
    I BUY MINE FROM WHOLE FOODS AND/OR A LOCAL ASIAN STORE. CAN BE PURCHASES FOR JUST OVER A $1 WHEN ON SALE, BUT USUAL PRICE IS $1.69 AT WHOLE FOODS AND A BIT MORE AT OTHER STORES. ALSO CAN BE PURCHASED FROM AMAZON.COM.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    Thanks..next time I'm in Orlando, I will go by Whole Foods..really looking forward to trying it..one of my MFP friends said it made a tremendously positive change in his diet.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options

I BUY MINE FROM WHOLE FOODS AND/OR A LOCAL ASIAN STORE. CAN BE PURCHASES FOR JUST OVER A $1 WHEN ON SALE, BUT USUAL PRICE IS $1.69 AT WHOLE FOODS AND A BIT MORE AT OTHER STORES. ALSO CAN BE PURCHASED FROM AMAZON.COM.

i live in a small town where i haven't been able to find this product.. is there somewhere online that ships to northern canada...

thanks!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I still prefer food. If you want a different subtitute, try some spaghetti squash.
  • peterdt
    Options

i live in a small town where i haven't been able to find this product.. is there somewhere online that ships to northern canada...

thanks!

surely Amazon will ship there.
  • peterdt
    Options

thanks!

surely Amazon will ship there.
    [/quote

]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=shirataki+noodles&sprefix=shirataki,aps,0
  • TrashyAbercrombie
    TrashyAbercrombie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I live on these noodles...I work at a grocery store in a town of like 700 people and my boss was able to get them in our store for me. Too bad they're like $3.29 around here :I

I always make a shrimp alfredo out of them.. or if I want ramen but don't want all the calories.. I'll just take the seasoning packet out of the ramen and mix it with the Spaghetti shaped shirataki noodles.
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I read about these a while back, but thought they had to be ordered online. Thanks for the info. Headed to Whole Foods this weekend!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    They also make spaghetti noodles. Make sure you rinse them first.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    the texture can be hard for some people to get past. my favorite way to have them is a stir fry with lots of veggies and soy sauce yum! haven't tried them with spaghetti sauce yet, i feel like that would be kinda gross
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? sorry, caps gets on my nerves lol
  • peterdt
    Options
    I live on these noodles...I work at a grocery store in a town of like 700 people and my boss was able to get them in our store for me. Too bad they're like $3.29 around here :I

I always make a shrimp alfredo out of them.. or if I want ramen but don't want all the calories.. I'll just take the seasoning packet out of the ramen and mix it with the Spaghetti shaped shirataki noodles.
    those recipes sounds awesome and easy.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I really want to like these... I tried them twice, never noticed any funky smell (I eat a lot of tofu generally) but boiled them anyway. What I can't get over is the texture... they're sort of crunchy? Maybe that's not the right word, but I usually cook my pasta until it's very, very soft, and the shirataki noodles were just too odd and crisp for my liking. Made me think of something nasty I won't say here so as not to spoil it for others. :)

Maybe I'll try buying the different shaped ones and preparing them differently next time. They ARE so low calorie that I just want to keep trying!
  • peterdt
    Options
    I really want to like these... I tried them twice, never noticed any funky smell (I eat a lot of tofu generally) but boiled them anyway. What I can't get over is the texture... they're sort of crunchy? Maybe that's not the right word, but I usually cook my pasta until it's very, very soft, and the shirataki noodles were just too odd and crisp for my liking. Made me think of something nasty I won't say here so as not to spoil it for others. :)

Maybe I'll try buying the different shaped ones and preparing them differently next time. They ARE so low calorie that I just want to keep trying!

Did you try to Tofu Shirataku? They do have 40 calories in 8 oz, which is almost nothing and have a much better feel. I did not like the other 0 calorie ones either.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Did you try to Tofu Shirataku? They do have 40 calories in 8 oz, which is almost nothing and have a much better feel. I did not like the other 0 calorie ones either.

Yup, the 40 calorie ones. I've never seen any that are 0 calorie. What do they make them out of?!?
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I agree. I was excited to try these, but the texture was horrible. Not soft, not hard, not crunchy, just strange. I couldn't eat them.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    THIS ARTICLE COPIED FROM FITDAY.COM. I HAVE ONE BAG OF THESE ALMOST EVERY DAY AT LUNCH IN MY PHO NOODLE SOUP. VERY LOW CAL AND VERY FILLING. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! LITTLE CALORIE SAVINGS ADD UP TO A LOT OVER TIME! I BUY MINE FROM WHOLE FOODS AND/OR A LOCAL ASIAN STORE. CAN BE PURCHASES FOR JUST OVER A $1 WHEN ON SALE, BUT USUAL PRICE IS $1.69 AT WHOLE FOODS AND A BIT MORE AT OTHER STORES. ALSO CAN BE PURCHASED FROM AMAZON.COM. IF YOU LOVE AND MISS PASTA THIS IS AN AWESOME SUBSTITUTE. IN MY OPINION IT IS NOT QUITE AS GOOD AS OLD SCHOOL NOODLES, BUT STILL VERY GOOD AND MOST PEOPLE TRYING THEM WITHOUT KNOWING ABOUT IT WOULD NOT KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT NORMAL NOODLES. HOWEVER, THEY MUST BE PREPARED CORRECTLY. NOT HARD TO PREPARE CORRECTLY, BUT IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE (READ BELOW). ALSO, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE TOFU SHIRATAKU NOODLES. 40 CALORIES IN AN 8 OZ SERVING BUT IT MAKES IT MUCH MORE PASTA LIKE AND IN MY OPINION NO COMPARISON TO THE RUBBERY 0 CALORIE ONES. SORRY FOR YELLING IN CAPS, JUST MAKING MY COPY AND THE WEBSITE COPY DISTINCT FROM EACH OTHER. :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :smooched:

Even if you're following a low calorie or low carbohydrate diet, you don't have to give up your favorite pasta dishes thanks to shirataki noodles. These noodles are great because they're extremely low in calories, contain no fat or cholesterol and are easy to prepare.

Nutrition Statistics

Shirataki noodles come in two forms, tofu shirataki and regular shirataki. Both types contain a yam flour base. The difference with tofu shirataki is the addition of a small amount of tofu. Shirataki noodles contain 0 calories per serving because they are almost entirely made of fiber. Tofu shirataki noodles contain 20 calories per serving because of the addition of tofu. Many people prefer tofu shirataki noodles to regular shirataki noodles because the texture is more pasta-like. Regardless of which you choose, both types make great pasta substitutes. You can purchase shirataki noodles in a variety of pasta shapes, including angel hair, spaghetti and fettuccine.

A Healthy Alternative to Pasta

Pasta dishes are usually very high in calories. A 1 cup serving of cooked spaghetti contains a whopping 221 calories alone, and 1 cup of pasta probably won't fill you or keep your stomach feeling satisfied. When you add in additional high calorie ingredients, like heavy sauces, the calories quickly add up. Tofu shirataki noodles contain a mere 20 calories and 3 g of carbohydrates per serving. With nutrition statistics this great, you can eat shirataki noodles every day without gaining weight.

Preparing Shirataki Noodles

The trick to enjoying shirataki noodles is to take the time to thoroughly rinse and dry them. Right out of the package, shirataki noodles have a strong, unpleasant odor and a slimy texture. You might enjoy shirataki noodles fresh out of the package, but there are a few steps you can take to greatly improve the taste, smell and texture of the noodles. Thoroughly rinse the noodles in cold running water. It's best to do this with a strainer or a colander. Dry the noodles with a few paper towels or a clean dish towel. Finally, cook the noodles for a minute in the microwave and then dry the noodles once more. You'll notice the noodles no longer smell and their texture is much firmer than before.

Shirataki Noodle Recipes

You can substitute shirataki noodles in all your favorite recipes that call for pasta. Shirataki noodles come packed in water, however, so there is no need to boil them before eating. Shirataki noodles work particularly well in cheesy, creamy dishes. Because the noodles are so low in calories and fat, a little bit of cheese or cream in the sauce improves the overall taste and texture of the dish.

If you love eating pasta but avoid eating calorie-rich foods, you should try shirataki noodles. Shirataki noodles might take a little getting used to because the taste and texture is different from pasta, but remember, you'll be saving tons of calories by making the switch to shirataki noodles.

I am going to stop at Whole Foods and buy them on my way home from work. Was planning spaghetti tonight so this will be GREAT!!!
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love pasta. I havent had it in weeks! I cant wait to try these noodles!
  • bunjijk
    Options

I agree. I was excited to try these, but the texture was horrible. Not soft, not hard, not crunchy, just strange. I couldn't eat them.