Measuring for Portion Control

Options
I am so FRUSTRATED right now!!

I got a food scale, it does grams and oz. But some things are portioned on the packaging as volume instead of weight. It does sometimes have the oz or grams in ( ) next to it, but not always. Converting from volume to weight is difficult because it's going to change depending on the substance.

And when I am making foods from scratch it becomes even more difficult.

Like the Cheeseburger Crockpot thing that was on here yesterday. I want to make that for lunch tomorrow and it's listed as 1/3 cup. It's not exact if you do it that way- it would depend on the cheese/hamburger/onion ratio in the cup. It would depend on how tightly you pack it in there.

I just want to know what I'm taking in! Why does this have to be so difficult?????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Replies

• nannye
    Options
    sorry I am no help but I love your princess ticker and your screen name looks familiar, are you on Disboards?
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you have the cups measure it them weigh it on your scale afterwards to give the measurement in g, write it next to the recipe so next time you will know the g weight

For the database entries If you look through the list you will find the same thing in a different measurement form, the generic one is often for 1g so you can multiply up
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    Preparing multi-ingredient receipes, calculating the weights and fluids, adding it all up, weighing the finished receipe and dividing by weight oz to get the serving size that fits your plan is advanced food charting to me. When it's all done and you serve yourself your portion, you are right, it's not going to be exactly by the math because of the ratio you mention. But it's close enough and for me, personally, that's ok especially after i put so much time into it.

If that's not ok for you though, you may want to stick with meals that are easily measured for now.