How has being wheat free helped you?

Options
I am currently reading Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. I am now on day three of being wheat free myself. I was inspired to make this life style change when I recently went back to the province I grew up and visited with a friends mom who was diagnosed with celiac disease earlier this year. The only lifestyle change she made was cut gluten from her diet and dropped approx 40 lbs. I am curious how going wheat/gluten free helped you with your weight loss?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Do you have celiac disease as well?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Your world is always very black and white, isn't it.
  • drmerc
    Options

Your world is always very black and white, isn't it.

Nope, 50 shades of gray
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My mom has been feeling better with less fatigue, happier, has started walking faster on her daily walks with the dog, and no longer needing her afternoon nap due to an afternoon energy slump.

She never had the digestive issues common with celiac disease. The book Wheat Belly explains how today's wheat is different from wheat grown 100 years ago. And how some people benefit from going gluten free because it reduces inflammation.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I stopped pooping alot.

I just stopped eating bread, and maybe pasta once and a while but..

What do cows eat? Grass.

What do farmers use to fatten cows up fast? Grains.

One of the reasons i dont care much for breads now.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Just wheat or any grain that has gluten?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I stopped pooping alot.

What do cows eat? Grass.

Well that is pretty strong logic, nothing wrong with bread though. Fresh baked breads are pretty awesome
  • drmerc
    Options
    I stopped pooping alot.

What do cows eat? Grass.

I'm glad it has nothing to do with calories
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My nephew has celiac, after learning this & cutting out gluten from his diet he GAINED 15 lbs, but he needed to, the gluten in his diet kept him very ill and very thin, he has Down Syndrome and heart issues so they always attributed his low weight and health issues to that, until about a year ago when a new Dr said he had celiac, pretty amazing how cutting out gluten totally changed him, he's so much healthier & happier now! I dont think cutting gluten has any weight loss side effects, its more internal, some people report less fatigue, less joint pain, fewer head aches, less stomach problems like gas and bloating.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find that once I cut out most grains (cross-contamination), I ate a heck of a lot more veggies to fill out a meal. As a consequence, my fiber intake went up, I have more energy, and I sleep better. I feel less bloated, and I stay full much longer. I'm pretty happy being grain-free, and my blood work has improved, too.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

What do cows eat? Grass.

Do you have four stomachs?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

What do cows eat? Grass.

Do you have four stomachs?

And here we gooooooooooo
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Giving up gluten, actually giving up ALL grains and legumes has stopped all bloating, better digestion, no more aches and pains in my joints, stopped getting cramps in my muscles, better sleep, higher sex drive, no food cravings, more energy to be able to work out, etc.
  • SteveCabral94
    SteveCabral94 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My nephew has celiac, after learning this & cutting out gluten from his diet he GAINED 15 lbs, but he needed to, the gluten in his diet kept him very ill and very thin, he has Down Syndrome and heart issues so they always attributed his low weight and health issues to that, until about a year ago when a new Dr said he had celiac, pretty amazing how cutting out gluten totally changed him, he's so much healthier & happier now! I dont think cutting gluten has any weight loss side effects, its more internal, some people report less fatigue, less joint pain, fewer head aches, less stomach problems like gas and bloating.

Agreed, my youngest has celiac and once we changed his diet he got really healthy and happy. He did gain wieght.