Healthy Carbs?

Options
So, here's the deal...I don't like carbs or the starchy feel they have. I love protein, eating lots and lots of meat, dairy, and veggies. I do like fruit, but I can't eat too much before going waaaay over my sugar allotment.

The problem is I play some really active sports, and a lot of times, when I'm way under my carb limit, I'll just crash in the middle of a game/practice. Like, my body has absolutely NO energy. I know my body NEEDS carbs for energy, so...what are some healthy things to eat that aren't super starchy feeling or sugary?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    snickers
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    snickers

I hear it satisfies. But that may be just a marketing ploy.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :noway: :laugh:

I think you forgot about the sugar limit... Seriously, any healthy carb ideas?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, sugar isn't that important to track. Stick to carbs, protein, and fats.

That being said, I try to get 1 g/ lb of lean mass of protein, .4g of fat per lb of lean mass, and let the carbs fall where they may.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Why are you concerned about sugar intake?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I didn't know sugar was a unhealthy carb sorry
    You said no starches, guess that leaves fiber?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why do you have a sugar allotment? Are you diabetic? If not that or any other medical reason, you don't need to worry about sugar...Especially if you don't eat lots of refined carbs...
    I can't keep up with my program without carbs (and the occasional snickers bar!:bigsmile:
    Bananas, frozen yogurt, pasta, greek yogurt, milk, and veggies do the trick for me....
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    So you're looking for starch-free and sugar-free carbs?

BRB, I need to process that one for a few minutes...
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    snickers

Yah, you're not you when you're hungry.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So you want a list of carbs that aren't high in starch or sugar ?

...uh...

...I got nothing.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Try researching a low-carb diet. I'm not saying do one, but something like paleo would have "healthy carb" ideas, but you will need to accept the fact that you're gonna have to eat some sugar.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What I'm looking for is food that doesn't leave me feeling gross, like the carbs in potato chips and cookies and such. :)

And no...I'm not diabetic, but I've found that when I eat much sugar, I don't feel well, so...I just try not to. I could probably eat more if I needed to.

So basically what you're saying is, just suck it up and eat what my body needs. :)
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Sprouted grain breads.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    What I'm looking for is food that doesn't leave me feeling gross, like the carbs in potato chips and cookies and such. :)

And no...I'm not diabetic, but I've found that when I eat much sugar, I don't feel well, so...I just try not to. I could probably eat more if I needed to.

So basically what you're saying is, just suck it up and eat what my body needs. :)

dingdingding!!!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruit.

Don't eat the cookies and potato chips.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Protein drink?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yay! Hope for MFP humanity restored!

Personally, I would start with fruit (although personally I'm fine with the starchy carbs...because a sweet potato <> a bag of potato chips.) I know, the ACIAC crowd disagrees, but I still think there is a difference between a bowl of fruit and a candy bar.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. Srsly
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato, Other potatoes Brown rice, Quinoa, Barley, Oatmeal, Beans as well as fruits and vegetables....
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Why do people thing potato chips when they think carbs??

Try potatoes (sweet/red/yukon gold/doesn't matter)
    Rice, pasta, breads

If you're as active as you say you are, you need the carbs.