Is this just a 'side effect' of the 1200 cal MFP gives ?

Options
When I was on 1280 for a while, I was tired, cold and felt like a lethargic zombie ALL THE TIME but as soon as I moved it up to 1460 and 1960 I was awake, energized and "lets go go go go go !"

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yup! When you eat too little for your body you get tired and zombie-like

food is energy! :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Fairly likely. It was probably your body's response to not getting enough fuel to function properly.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yep, that happens to a lot of people. I'm ravenously hungry if I try to eat less than 1300 a day. 1600 seems to be my "magic number" and keeps me satisfied. :)
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes it could be...you have to find what works for you and fuels your body properly everyone's body is different.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I hope I never have to go that low again; I can't even stand the thought of only 1200 per day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can do 1200...and its not written in stone. You do what you need to do for YOU. Glad you found your number. :)
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When I was on 1280 for a while, I was tired, cold and felt like a lethargic zombie ALL THE TIME but as soon as I moved it up to 1460 and 1960 I was awake, energized and "lets go go go go go !"

depends on what you're eating
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    it was for me - anything less than 1550 and i just have 0 energy but i found i still lose on 1800ish too
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Ignore this - misunderstood title x
  • MissLuana
    Options
    The only way I can manage 1200-1350 cals per day is to burn A LOT of calories during cardio. I have to earn the extra calories to get more food. On the days that I don't exercise, I can't stay under my cals for the day. :cry:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    1200 is unhealthy. A 5 year old girl eats more. Cutting calories by 500 minus your BMR is what you should be doing. If you workout then add more.

BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

or your weight x 14-16.

Dont cut calories to an extreme, you will lose weight but are you seriously going to eat under 1200 for the rest of your life? People get greedy and want it off fast, but really your just jumping to the middle of an already long line.

But I guess i should have read the entire post before i got all internet angry lol
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The starvation mode MFP talks about is a myth. However, increasing your calories was a wise thing to do.

Did i miss where someone mentioned starvation mode? :huh:
    Talking about energy levels, not starvation
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing 1200 calories a day and depending on what I'm eating, I end up full by the end of the day. And sometimes I'm under 1200. Not by much, maybe 10-30 calories... hahaha
    But I feel like I have eaten plenty. And I snack all day.
    My weight gain problem was portion sizes. Now that I am controlling the portions better and snacking on fruits and vegetables, I have plenty of food to eat, I feel full and satisfied during the day and at the end of the day, and I feel happy and still have plenty of energy throughout the day. I don't feel as though I am lacking.

Also, if I exercise and burn calories, I eat more that day. If I burned 200 calories, I will eat 200 more calories.

But I don't feel like I am missing out or am having too little.

So I guess it really depends on your body. I think it's different for everyone. Some people can function fine with 1200 and some people can't. I don't think it's bad either way, just find what works for you.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Did i miss where someone mentioned starvation mode? :huh:
    Talking about energy levels, not starvation

I mean that limit of 1200 which MFP gives. It's warning states that, that's all. Her title said "1200 cal MFP gives" so I thought it might be related to the warning. Sorry for the misunderstanding
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    have no problem with 1200 calories..never hungry..am usually under that..have plenty of energy. if my body says hungry ..then i eat.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1200 is unhealthy.

read my diary and tell me what's unhealthy about it.

to the Original Poster, if the extra 250 calories make the difference between feeling like a zombie and having a ton of energy, then you should absolutely enjoy them.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    Options
    1200 is unhealthy. A 5 year old girl eats more. Cutting calories by 500 minus your BMR is what you should be doing. If you workout then add more.

BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

or your weight x 14-16.

Dont cut calories to an extreme, you will lose weight but are you seriously going to eat under 1200 for the rest of your life? People get greedy and want it off fast, but really your just jumping to the middle of an already long line.

But I guess i should have read the entire post before i got all internet angry lol

my dr. has me on 1200 cals a day
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    Options
    1200 is unhealthy.

read my diary and tell me what's unhealthy about it.

to the Original Poster, if the extra 250 calories make the difference between feeling like a zombie and having a ton of energy, then you should absolutely enjoy them.

its not unhealthy. some people r very ignorant is all
  • Emeshee
    Emeshee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. personally, eating 1200+ calories leaves me feeling painfully stuffed. its too much for me to eat. now if it was 1200 calories of unhealthy food, it'd be easy for me to have that much but since i eat mostly fruits, veggies and beans it takes A LOT of food to get up there. listen to your own body and dont worry so much about what others say
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. I was also nasueous most afternoons. I upped to 1690 and I feel so much better.