Not losing because of alcohol?

Options
13»

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am NOT going to get in this arugment again, but I will simply say, you are right about alcohol getting in the way of fat loss. Yes. Absolutely.

Also, I have a personal theory that people that cut calories to drink alcohol are basically kind of dumb because alcohol is not nutrition. It is nutritions opposite, and don't start comparing that to cookies and ice cream. It's different. Alcohol is literally poison to your body and your body prioritizes getting rid of it over getting rid of other things. People think it's BS, but I believe it because I lived it. I can tell you that stopping drinking really got things moving. Big time.

That is not to say you have to stop drinking. I'm just saying, there is an effect. If you're drinking every night, I would say that it's definitely getting in the way.

Why not try not drinking for a couple weeks and see if it helps. I already know it will, but I'm just saying make it an experiment. Than, rather than ask people, you can tell them.

This. I was definitely one of those people for the longest time. When I lost the 18 pounds I lost last year on here I was logging, exercising, and drinking. I would eat very little so I could fit the drinks. No healthy at all. Sure it fit but dieting all day so I could have 500 calories of booze at night wasn't my brightest idea. :)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Don't blame the alcohol... for that mattter, blaming anything specific is a dangerous thing- as you can use it as an excuse or crutch. 99.99% of the time, it's a lapse in discipline or an error in logging.

When I was at 230 lbs, 1500 cals/day wasn't enough- maybe you need to up the cals a little bit.

Back on topic- Alcohol hasn't hindered me a bit. I had a few days where I did drink more than I should have and saw no slow down in losses. In general, a few beers/drinks/glasses of wine during the week-logged and within your cal allotment, are just fine.

The better question is: are you able to drop the "several drinks a night" habit without issue?

There have been some real eye-opening comments on my original post. As always, varying degrees of agreement, but I find everyone's willingness to help uplifting. Ok, now for the reality check. I am a 57 year old female who is 5'6" and 230 pounds. I probably DO drink more than 200 calories a day, but now I am afraid to measure to see how much I am really consuming. I only had one very watery drink last night and I couldn't sleep at all! I'm cutting way down until I can can cut it out completely.
    Thanks for all of your comments. I think I'll need your support! :flowerforyou:

I feel your pain, I went from drinking about half-3/4 bottle of wine every night to just a glass on a weekend night when I joined MFP. I won't lie and say it was easy and I didn't want to drink because I did, but the good points outweighed the feeling of having a drink. Pretty much everything improved, sleep, energy, diet, weight loss. Alcohol is a poison, too much will do you no good, and it will effect your losses.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am not dieting.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just a side note - don't forget that the WHO regards anymore than 28 standard drinks (a standard drink of scotch is about 1oz normally) in a week to be excessive for women, here in NZ our alcohol safety boards suggest women drinking more than 21 standard drinks a week are damaging their bodies - permanently.

Not saying that you're drinking excessively, I can't see your diary, and I'm guessing because you said you only drank 200cal worth a day that you're probably only drinking 2oz a day. I just got on my high horse because my ex's not-quite-technically-excessive alcohol drinking really screwed his body up and now he's living with the consequences - he certainly wishes he'd known.