Sugar question

Options
So MFP has a sugar limit for us (for me, its like 25 g). How do you stay w/in that goal when consuming fruit and dairy? I don't really eat many treats and when I do I am conscious of the sugar content and try to select sweet treats that have more to offer than a simple sugar rush... Just wondering what y'all think...

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I haven't quite figured out the balancing thing yet. I'm always usually over on my sugar but mostly my sodium. I try to stay 'close' and feel that is the best I can do for the moment anyway. I keep reading labels and putting in my meals ahead of time to try them out so see what they do to my totals. Hopefully someone has some good suggestions.
  • bkeeldo
    bkeeldo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about the sugar if most of it is from fruits and veggies that I am eating. If it were coming from other sources then it would be a problem.
  • angelface12004
    Options
    I'm not to worried about the sugar content, i have on mine, cals, fat, carbs, fiber, and sodium, if i was to worry about my sugar i would never be in my goal, and i am exercising my abs so for me that is good enough since that is where the sugar goes :(.

201511.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kiwiraz
    kiwiraz Posts: 34
    Options
    I am having the same problem...corn flakes and fruit put me over. I am waiting to hear back from someone I know who was recently diagnosed with diabetes to see what's up with that. I'll post again if I hear back.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I watch my sugar due to pre-diabetes. What I've found is that if you cut out the processed sweets, you really cut wayy back. I don't pay too much attention to natural sugar from fruit. It's the bread, the desserts, the cereals, the dressings, the drinks, that impact me the most.
  • drvvork
    Options
    I watch my sugar due to pre-diabetes. What I've found is that if you cut out the processed sweets, you really cut wayy back. I don't pay too much attention to natural sugar from fruit. It's the bread, the desserts, the cereals, the dressings, the drinks, that impact me the most.

Okay, then if I'm not eating the refined sugars not to worry then too much? I too am pre-diabetes and need to chart my sugar levels etc and have found doing what I'm doing my levels are well within the guidelines. Thank you stormieweather for your insight.

:flowerforyou: Thank you emily859 for asking this question.
  • iamalexa
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this topic!! I was wondering the exact same thing. My sugar level is 25g and I NEVER stay under it due to fruit and dairy as well. Its simply impossible. Im assuming that 25g is mostly intended for sweets and what not. If you hear of any negative feed back or positive let me know Im very interested!!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    just an FYI, as a certified diabetes educator, there is no such thing as prediabetic. you are diabetic if your blood sugar is high at any time. with a normal functioning pancreas, if a person eats a candy bar and checks their blood sugar 30 minutes later it will be normal. the normal functioning pancreas will excrete the exact amount of insulin your body needs to keep your blood sugar within the normal range.

one good thing to do as someone who is concerned about their blood sugar is to do random chekcs throughout the day. many people just check prior to meals, the goal is to keep your blood sugar at a steady state throughout the day and night so random checks are important as well.

i would definitely recommend avoiding all "sugar" products with added sugar, honey, white flours. i would also limit natural sugars, i try to eat only 2 fruits/day. i also combine my fruit with a protein source such as cottage cheese or nuts. i have also upped my daily protein allotment (on the settings area) and increased my percentages to 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. i think 15% protein is way to low especially for someone with blood sugar issues. good luck with your journey.
  • drvvork
    Options
    just an FYI, as a certified diabetes educator, there is no such thing as prediabetic. you are diabetic if your blood sugar is high at any time. with a normal functioning pancreas, if a person eats a candy bar and checks their blood sugar 30 minutes later it will be normal. the normal functioning pancreas will excrete the exact amount of insulin your body needs to keep your blood sugar within the normal range.

Let me clarify my meaning of pre-diabetic as meaning it is very prevalent in my family gene pool so I'm fighting it. Doc has me checking regularly to 'keep' it in check now. Sorry if I mis-worded.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

one good thing to do as someone who is concerned about their blood sugar is to do random chekcs throughout the day. many people just check prior to meals, the goal is to keep your blood sugar at a steady state throughout the day and night so random checks are important as well.

i would definitely recommend avoiding all "sugar" products with added sugar, honey, white flours. i would also limit natural sugars, i try to eat only 2 fruits/day. i also combine my fruit with a protein source such as cottage cheese or nuts. i have also upped my daily protein allotment (on the settings area) and increased my percentages to 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. i think 15% protein is way to low especially for someone with blood sugar issues. good luck with your journey.

Well my doctor tells me I AM pre-diabetic. In that, I am able to control my blood sugar issues via diet and exercise. Diabetes runs in my family and I've had gestational in all three pregnancies (each progressively more serious). During the last one, I had to self-inject insulin. I test now and then to ensure that I am maintaining my blood sugars at a healthy level. If I do NOT eat properly, they skyrocket.

So you call that whatever you want, but I am not "formally" diabetic but am walking a very thin line to prevent a "formal" diagnosis.

Having been to several registered dietitians and physicians on this matter, I can only tell you what THEY call it. In addition, the American Diabetes Association names the state of higher than normal blood sugars but not high enough to qualify as diabetes, as pre-diabetes. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/pre-diabetes/.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    prediabetes is a phenomenon that occurs to people at high risk for diabetes PRIOR to any blood sugar elevations. your pancreas begins to work in overdrive but is still able to keep up with insulin demands. if you have any incidents of blood sugar elevations occur, you then have diabetes. you can control it with diet and exercise, very well at that. i am not trying to say anything negative, its just the reality. many people do not want to accept the diagnosis but i take it as motivation to do the right thing.