YOGA VS. PILATES

2»

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think many people here tend to expect too much out of yoga. Yes, most yoga classes are designed to be exercise classes; so they do work you out. But, generally speaking, yoga is not so good for toning and burning calories. It is for stretching. It is for balance. Maybe, it is for strengthening your big muscle groups, a little.
    Pilates, however ,is intended to strengthen and tone. That is what it is all about. Pilates was initially invented for strengthening people who had been in bed for a very long time and become deconditioned. And, that is what it does. it reconditions you. It makes your core stronger.
    i might suggest that, if you want to tone, you want pilates. Yoga has many benefits. But it is not going to make you buff or cut . . . unless you spend a few hours a day at it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Pilates is helpful to me as a dancer when I am recovering from an injury and especially after I had my babies and was in the postpartum recovery time. But, then it was too easy. Sometimes it can be fun, but it also gets boring. I do like that it focuses on some aspects of the body that are important for dancers. I prefer yoga. I like Ashtanga yoga or Flow because (as others said) it flows and feels like dancing. I find that enjoyable on many levels. I like yoga because it keeps me flexible and is also good for the whole core and stability and balance and I can work on various types of hand stands, inverted balancing poses, and back bends, etc. But, as others said, I also lift weights. I am a dancer that is the main use of my body and my life. I lift weights for increased muscle strength and for my life long fitness (3 times a week). Yoga is an extra thing that I can do to improve on everything I am working on and to feel relaxed and unwind through movement, use of the body, stretching. And I can do it everyday if I want to.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Pilates are basically swimming without the pool, yoga is a series of stretches and breathing exercises that give you a chance to relax and decompress. Pilates are fun and helpful cardio, yoga is great stress relief with exercise mixed in.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Don't worry about getting bulky! Which weighs more- a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Exxxactly.
  • againagain
    againagain Posts: 27 Member
    I've done both. There are several types of yoga. It can range from very relaxing stretching to intense work outs. I like how I feel physically and mentally after yoga. There are movements/poses for getting in touch with almost every part of your body - even your eyes and nose! I adore yoga.

Pilates is less about mind/body and more about the core. It is definitely a work out.

Both are great for improving posture.

I think both are good in different ways. If you have a busy life, I would recommend finding a good yoga class and sticking with it for a few weeks. It really makes you slow down and listen to your body once a week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Don't worry about getting bulky! Which weighs more- a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Exxxactly.

I have no idea, but a 10lb box of paper is not as heavy as a 10lb dumbbell - that's fo sho.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member

I have no idea, but a 10lb box of paper is not as heavy as a 10lb dumbbell - that's fo sho.
    I'll deem the one which hurts the most when hurled against your face is the heaviest.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member

Not sure about that - but a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    I think many people here tend to expect too much out of yoga. Yes, most yoga classes are designed to be exercise classes; so they do work you out. But, generally speaking, yoga is not so good for toning and burning calories. It is for stretching. It is for balance. Maybe, it is for strengthening your big muscle groups, a little.
    Pilates, however ,is intended to strengthen and tone. That is what it is all about. Pilates was initially invented for strengthening people who had been in bed for a very long time and become deconditioned. And, that is what it does. it reconditions you. It makes your core stronger.
    i might suggest that, if you want to tone, you want pilates. Yoga has many benefits. But it is not going to make you buff or cut . . . unless you spend a few hours a day at it.

Yes, I expect a lot out of yoga - and it delivers. A lot depends on 1) the teacher running the class and 2) the motivation and application you bring to it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

I'll deem the one which hurts the most when hurled against your face is the heaviest.

*nods* the dumbbell !!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    I love yoga. I didn't care for pilates that much but I only tried it once. Yoga isn't just for flexibilty and balance , it does improve your core strength. Pilates is more focused on strength and linking movement to breath although you will do some of that in yoga too. I would try both to see which you prefer. Yoga is amazing but i must say you don't need to reach goal weight or get down to a certain weight to start. Go now, you'll be glad you did. I've been doing it since I was over 300 lbs and I'm hooked. And give it a chance, because I can't believe how much i improved in about 6 wks
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I have done both and move wise Pilates is mostly intensified Yoga moves. Yoga is a different mental and physical process, but it isn't true it won't be as intense of a work out as Pilates. If you have a good Yoga instructor they will teach you how to challenge yourself. There is a guy in my Meditative Yoga class that can do the crane. Picture of what the Crane is below:

HP_202_Bakasana_248.jpg

I could barely plank when I first started Yoga, now I can hold for several seconds. Yoga is great for resetting your body, especially if you are a runner. I think you should do both. One day I will be able to do the crane.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    I can't comment much on pilates as I have never taken a class and just dabbled with it at home a bit, but I have done yoga off and on for 13 years. When I am doing it regularly I notice huge improvements in my posture, my core, my flexibility, my breathing and my state of mind as well. I find it helps a LOT with managing stress. I love yoga completely and have become much more aware of my body through practicing it.

As someone who has had some pretty bad back injuries, I would still be in a lot of pain if it wasn't for yoga. I love it completely.