Consequenses of consistently overconsuming fat

Options

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a 50/25/25 macro ratio.
    I have no interest in a keto diet.

I don't condone keto, optimal macro ratio for building muscle/losing fat is usually 40/30/30.

Good point...

...but only if by "optimal", you mean, "favorite" because I'm fairly certain this is just your personal preference and not actually backed by science.

Hence why I said "usually," but thank you for taking the time to read CAREFULLY before responding. Backing out of this thread now.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What i have always seen is .8-1 g of protein per lbm, .35g of fat per lb of weight and the rest carbs. At 225g of protein, i thinks its covered.. interested in the response from sidesteel.

I replied earlier in the thread. Waiting to hear from OP.
  • job187
    job187 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What rate are you gaining bodyweight at? I'm not concerned with your fat intake, but that's seems high for total energy intake.

What's your TDEE and rate of gain at this intake?

The last 17 weeks I have been gaining 150grams per week. I am currently at 3600 kcal/day but this has increased troughout my bulk. I've done a OLC linear regression of my weekly data (kcal intake and weightchange) and got the model DELTAWEIGHT = -7.3 * 0.002 KCAL.

According to this model my TDEE is 3650 but I find this number to be a gross overestimation. I'd say it's more like 3400-3500.

And yeah, I'm also a bit concerned that the total fatintake is a bit high.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    That much fat is fine. I eat almost that much with half the calories you eat. It's delicious and very satiating. Yay fat!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For the morons like myself.. 150g = .33 lbs
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a 50/25/25 macro ratio.
    I have no interest in a keto diet.

I don't condone keto, optimal macro ratio for building muscle/losing fat is usually 40/30/30.

Good point...

...but only if by "optimal", you mean, "favorite" because I'm fairly certain this is just your personal preference and not actually backed by science.

Hence why I said "usually," but thank you for taking the time to read CAREFULLY before responding. Backing out of this thread now.

Thanks, but I think my reading comprehension is just fine.

I don't think the science supports those ratios being "usually" optimal either...

...but don't let actual facts get in the way of you sharing your opinion as if it's fact.
  • job187
    Options
    Yes, a 100g scheduled fatintake is not something to worry about. But I often find myself at 150g fatintake several days a week and compensate this by lowering my carbintake.

I'm concerned that this will limit me in the gym

edit. Also, this thread isn't about fatloss which I suspect is the main focus for alot of people on these forums. For fatloss the total daily energy intake is key but I believe the actual macronutritional ratios becomes a bit more important when trying to optimize musclegrowth whilie minimizing fatgains.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    That much fat is fine. I eat almost that much with half the calories you eat. It's delicious and very satiating. Yay fat!

adding another yay for fat. :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    What rate are you gaining bodyweight at? I'm not concerned with your fat intake, but that's seems high for total energy intake.

The last 17 weeks I have been gaining 150grams per week. I am currently at 3600 kcal/day but this has increased troughout my bulk. I've done a OLC linear regression of my weekly data (kcal intake and weightchange) and got the model DELTAWEIGHT = -7.3 * 0.002 KCAL.

According to this model my TDEE is 3650 but I find this number to be a gross overestimation. I'd say it's more like 3400-3500.

Rate of gain is actually a touch low, wow. Strong TDEE.
    I'm still not concerned with your fat intake but if you feel better going lower, knock out another 20g or so and stuff more pro or CHO down your gullet. I wouldn't reduce cals though, if anything I'd add slightly.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm having 321g of fat today, and not worried about it at all.

Chillax bro
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'm having 321g of fat today, and not worried about it at all.

Chillax bro

' mirin.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    thank you for replying, your advice seems sound to me but I'm not as much concerned about my health as I am about the adverse effects this might have on my physical performance.

I was hoping someone could tell me the effect of substituting carbs with fat on musclegrowth just as I could tell you that underconsuming protein will have adverse effects on protein synthesis.

While good fats (you know what they are) are essential to avoid depleting essential fatty acids in the body, excessive animal fat has been associated with higher levels of inflammation in the body. However, that might not be the direct result of consuming animal fat but be due to the synchronous consumption of another substance (like arachidonic acid) that "rides along" with animal fat. But, in general, it is likely best to avoid going overboard on animal fat. Lean beef is a nutrition bonanza in many ways---bacon, not so much. As for carbohydrates, if you are working out intensely on a regular basis, you must eat enough "good carbohydrates" (starchy vegetables, fruits and whole grains) to avoid catabolizing your muscles. In general, a minimum of 100 grams of carbohydrate is needed to spare one's muscle mass (with light exercise). 200 grams is typically needed (depending on the individual's LBM--lean body mass) with moderate exercise (150 minutes of mild to brisk activity) and high-intensity exercise that is done for more than 200 minutes a week needs even more carbohydrates (but again, it should be health-building carbs and not sugar, starch or other non-nutritional food).
  • job187
    Options

I'm still not concerned with your fat intake but if you feel better going lower, knock out another 20g or so and stuff more pro or CHO down your gullet. I wouldn't reduce cals though, if anything I'd add slightly.

Allright, thank you for your advice m8.
    But would you be able to theorize on what kind of adverse effects an out of whack carb/fat ratio could have on musclegains?

The best I personally can come up with is that my glycogen levels isn't whatn they should be and thus lowering my protein synthesis. But this is coming straight out of my *kitten* and i'd love if someone could get me straight on this.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    225g protein x 4 = 900k
    100g fat x 9 = 900k
    450g carbs x 4 = 1800k
    3600 daily calories

That's a lot of calories to be taking in every day, even for a very large person. If you're not doing large amounts of very heavy weight training almost every single day, you're going to have a very hard time making progress with that kind of intake IMO.

More likely, you'll either stay about the same or put on additional fat.

I'm not overly concerned about the level of fat in particular, but I'd say you're getting too much of everything with this plan.

edit - just noticed you said you're bulking, so never mind....
  • job187
    Options
    225g protein x 4 = 900k
    100g fat x 9 = 900k
    450g carbs x 4 = 1800k
    3600 daily calories

That's a lot of calories to be taking in every day, even for a very large person. If you're not doing large amounts of very heavy weight training almost every single day, you're going to have a very hard time making progress with that kind of intake IMO.

More likely, you'll either stay about the same or put on additional fat.

I'm not overly concerned about the level of fat in particular, but I'd say you're getting too much of everything with this plan.

edit - just noticed you said you're bulking, so never mind....

I thank you for trying but you are flat out wrong in almost everything you say.

edit: just saw your edit lol :)
  • SideSteel
    Options

But would you be able to theorize on what kind of adverse effects an out of whack carb/fat ratio could have on musclegains?

The best I personally can come up with is that my glycogen levels isn't whatn they should be and thus lowering my protein synthesis. But this is coming straight out of my *kitten* and i'd love if someone could get me straight on this.

I would be dumbfounded if 450g CHO was insufficient for you to keep glycogen up. But that being said given your massive TDEE you really have craptons of room to move things around. You probably only NEED about 160ish protein and I'd not go any lower that about 70 fat. That leaves you a freakin stupid amount of space for carbs.

Since you sound concerned I'd just drop fat to 80 and bump carbs up to 500. Not because I think your fat is too high, but it might ease your mind and your mins are still easily being met. Could also drop protein in favor of even more CHO if you want.

Of course this assumes you're not on dat cell tech.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I highly, highly doubt that you have depleted glycogen at 450g daily. It doesn't take much to spark protein synthesis. I think it's more likely that if you're not gaining what you think you should be, that you've underestimated your TDEE. All of the calculation methods are just estimates- first it's an estimate of BMR, and then multiplied by an estimated activity coefficient, and then add in an estimated exercise burn. If any of those things is off, you may not get expected results. Have you ever experimented with your calories to find your *true* maintenance? As in, monitored calories closely for a period of time while maintaining?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    And also if I had your TDEE I would get Pop Tarts to officially sponsor me.
  • job187
    Options
    Allright, guess I can stop feeling bad about not always hitting my macros :)

MoreBean13: I've estimated my TDEE by doing a Ordinary Least Squares regression on weekly bodyweightchange and average weekly kcal intake with 17 observations. I think this model will become less and less acurate as I gain weight since adding lean muscle tissue and fat will also increase my metabolism as i understand it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned it yet, but have you considered the possibility of a ridiculously large tapeworm living inside you? Or perhaps some medical condition that prevents absorption of calories? Or that you're actually an alien?