Chronic Migraine Sufferers...How do you cope?

Charlie003
Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
I have Arnold Chiari malformation. This is a lifelong sentence of pain. I am sure my kidneys hate me as much as my liver for all the pills I need to take. Are there any other chiari or chronic migraine sufferers here. if so, what medication regiment are you on and does it help.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    *hugs*

I don't have a chronic condition. But I do get migraines (about twice a year). I feel so bad for you, hon. I have no advice that I haven't already given you. I take Excedrin migraine when mine come on, but I'm sure you need something stronger. Has the doctor not offered to prescribe anything for you?
  • Charlie003
    I have a whole pharmacie at home. But, I am sure it is hard on my system.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Have you looked into Botox?
  • Charlie003
    No. How would that help?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I take one Exedrin and one Aleve for most of mine and I have Maxalt for emergencies. But my migraines usually aren't debilitating and while I sometimes get one every day if the weather is screwy, I usually go weeks between.

I know there are a couple drugs (anti-depressants, I believe) that you can take daily that are supposed to mitigate the migraines. Has your doctor prescribed anything like that?
  • rml_16
    No. How would that help?

Yes! Botox! I forgot about that. It numbs the nerves. It's used widely to treat chronic pain, including migraines. Do you see a neurologist?
  • Charlie003
    No. How would that help?

Yes! Botox! I forgot about that. It numbs the nerves. It's used widely to treat chronic pain, including migraines. Do you see a neurologist?

Yes. I have one. I also have many pills. I have celexa, which is the anti depressant, relpax for emergincies. A muscle relaxer.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    There is an over the counter suppliment called Ultra Cal Nite by Source Naturals. When I was losing pregnancy after pregnancy I worked with a reproductive endocrinologist who was working on a theory about pregnancy loss, hypothyrodism and chronic migraines. He had me take two of these pills in the morning and one at night for two months, then scale back to one at night. I also would bath three times a week in epsom salts (magnesium) and low and behold after a month my migraines tapered off and went away entirely. I still take the Ultra Cal Night...I only take one a day, should take two, but almost NEVER get a migraine. I highly HIGHLY recommend it.

And that coupled with some other interventions...I have two children...my beautiful boys who are now 11 and 9....
  • rml_16
    No. How would that help?

Yes. I have one. I also have many pills. I have celexa, which is the anti depressant, relpax for emergincies. A muscle relaxer.

Ask about Botox. I worked for a neurology practice for a while and one of the doctors did that for chronic pain, including migraines. It was reserved for people who didn't have a lot of luck with other treatments and might be really helpful for you.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Botox to paralyze the nerves.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    i get KILLER migraines. like wake up from the pain, cant open ur eyes, get up anyways cuz u gotta go to work, dress 2 loud boys, get to work, throw up, cant see, go bak home type of thing. Once i get home, i know this sounds weird, but it helps me if i lay under a blanket wit jus my underclothes. take a bunch of pills and sleep for a few hrs. I get tehm very often in the summer because of the heat. finally got so bad this time around (i had them for like 2-3 weeks straight!) i went to the doctor. i dont have insurance so he prescribed me some low blood pressure pills and they eased of. of course now its winter so im feeling brave and stopped takng them(i dont get them as often in the winter time)
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    I take Sumatriptan for my worst migraines which is a generic form of Imitrex. It works for me. I used to get them several times a month. Luckily in the last 2 months I've only had a handful of them, but I'm sure it will go back to having a migraine almost every day, it switches up at random times. I can go from a month or two without them, to several months where I have one every single day. I cope because I have to. I learn what I can do to try to prevent them, and work with that. Unfortunately, Heat/sun/loud noises are a couple main causes of them x.x
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    I have also heard the botox in forhead, head area has helped lots of people.

I cut out soda and went a low dose birth control to control mine.

For actual chronic migrains I am not sure
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    I suffer with them.:( It is awful. The only medicine that ever really helped me was daily Topamax, and It has some nasty side effects and my muscles started twitching all the time. I am sure my liver hates me too. I take Advil and Excedrin every day. About to go to a new chiro cause a lot of mine stem from my neck issues, I believe. Accupuncture helped greatly for awhile, then quit working. You could always try it. Lots of people see good things from it. I am currently doing the Whole 30 eating plan. It has helped some. You can google it, there is tons of info about it on there.:) Just know you are not alone and it is awful.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    I think I will check into the Botox suggestion as well. Thanks guys!!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    I'm sorry about your chronic pain. I have a chronic disease and it is not fun and there is pain involved with it but I do know the pain of a migraine and that is unbearable.

I don't pretend to know much about migraines, but I did hear from someone on MFP that since they've been taking Chia seeds their migraines have disappeared. I love chia seeds and they are great for my arthritis issues and they're great for your heart health too... it certainly couldn't hurt to add them to your diet. Or at least check into it. That would be easier on your liver and kidneys than a bunch of other pills (if it works for you!)

Good luck!
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    I started taking Topamax. I would rather take 3 pills a day than the multiple Advil, migraine combo( Toradol/anti nausea/benadryl), and pain pills I was taking(not taking all of them all day, everyday). The Topamax has cut my migraines down to just the occasional hormonal or weather related one versus the everyday headaches and once to twice a week migraines I was getting.
  • I used to be on a daily dose of Amitriptyline with Maxalt as my emergency medicine. Now, after being weaned off the daily stuff, I only use the Maxalt when I have to and Advil otherwise.
  • ericaknight95
    ericaknight95 Posts: 127 Member
    I've gotten wicked migraines since I was 8 years old. Recently, I began regularly seeing a chiropractor, and since then I get them less often. (Before I would get them once or twice a month, now I only get them once or twice a year.) If you don't already, I would suggest seeing a chiropractor for regular treatments. Hope you feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    I used to get them constantly as a kid, they gave me so many tests (ct scans and MRI's) when I was younger trying to figure out why and never could. I still get them probably once a month (less lately, thank god) but I'm not on any medicine, I just usually have to spend the day in a dark room...coffee sometimes helps and Excedrin...