Protein Powder.......Is it good for me?

Options
2»

Replies

• curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I get the GNC pro performance amp. It's whey isolate with leucine, BCAAs, etc, and I think it was about $25 for 1.22 lbs. The whey isolate is supposed to be better/more quickly absorbed, but you'll notice it does cost slightly more. It's worth it. I have vanilla right now and I like that it's more universal as far as what you can mix with it. Sometimes I throw in a squeeze of sugar free chocolate syrup. Also comes in chocolate (meh), cookies n cream (yum), and I think blueberry (haven't been brave enough to try that yet).

It lists one serving as 3 scoops (280 cal, 60 G protein) but I only use scoop at a time. Generally speaking, you can only absorb something like 20-26 G protein at a time, so it'd be a waste to take more. The exception being massive men. They can handle 60 G at a shot :)

What is BCAAs?
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein is what I like. 140 calories; 3 carbs; 3 fat; 25 grams protein; 2 sugar and 1 fiber. I like to add chia seeds to it too.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    So my question is if you are all taking a protein supplement, why do you take it? Does it help you loose weight? Make you feel stronger? My friend suggests that with a 5 meal a day routine that a protein shake should replace 1-2 meals a day for optimum weight loss. I guess this is so you are not eating the fat and carbs. What is your opinion on using the protein powder?

Thanks

Obviously the calories from the protein shake would replace other calories in your diet, but I don't know that it replaces 1-2 meals. Protein in your diet is the best (only?) way to build lean muscle mass. I don't think someone should go crazy with protein in their diet but it is an important part of it. Personally, I add a scoop of Body Fortress Whey Protein to my bowl of cereal or oatmeal in the morning and drink a scoop with 1 cup of 2% milk and 1 cup of water in the evening.

You should definitely bump your protein % on the MFP goals if you do any lifting at all.
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    What is BCAAs?

Branched-chain amino acids. Basically, they help build and/or repair muscle tissue.
  • Karenlyn426
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate your advice.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition (ON) Delicious Strawberry. I take it with water to cut down on calories and fat.
    U can also try blending it with a banana, orange juice and two eggs whites for additional flavor and protein
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Thank you for posting this as I was considering posting the same thing lol. I'm always way under my protein and I know I need more, especially since I'm planning on adding more lifting and eventually adding some heavy lifting. So bump for you and bump for future reading.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use Vega performance protein powder after I work out (blended with some frozen fruit and almond milk, usually). It's soy, dairy, gluten, etc. free, no added sugar, and tastes awesome. Unfortunately it's a little pricey, but it's some amazing nutrition. They also make meal replacement type shakes (Vega One). All of these come in chocolate, vanilla, berry, and other flavors. Here's their site: http://myvega.com/
  • knormandin64
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar Whey Protein Isolate Powder Fuzzy Navel -- 2.14 lbs, $32.41 from VitaCost.com

It has 23 g protein and 90 calories in 1 scoop.

I started the protein powder a few months ago, I've always had trouble getting enough protein, and this makes all the difference.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use Dynamize Iso Whey Protien Isolate. 43 bucks for the big jug at the Vitamin Shoppe. Great taste too.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    CytoSport makers of Muscle Milk - 100% Whey Protein 27g 6lb Bag of Chocolate

I get it from Costco. It was on sale for $40 a few weeks ago.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Or - you could just eat food - d'ya see what I did there - thinking out of the box :smile:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Or - you could just eat food - d'ya see what I did there - thinking out of the box :smile:

Better if it isn't from a box because those tend to have too much sodium - d'ya see what I did there :wink: