Grocery Shopping

Options
So the weekend is coming up (Which is usally where I go "Wrong" because I get bored and eat). I grocery shop on either saturday or sunday. I tend to buy the same things over and over. I believe this is why I get " burned out". Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change things up a bit? For snacks i usually take a fruit a yogurt and some nuts to work with me, and for lunch, I am hoping to do a protien (grilled chicken maybe) and steamed veggies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For me, planning ahead always helps. Here are some random things I've been doing/eating: For sandwiches, I use only 1 slice of bread. For snacks: one tablespoon of hummus can be used on a big pile of raw veggies which gives me something to chew on and helps fill me up (I love it with broccoli). Roasted veggies are easy, delicious, and nutritious: sweet potatoes, squash, beets, turnips, green beans, the list goes on. I cut into ~1" cubes, toss with 0.5 to 1 Tablespoon olive oil (I don't let them get very oily) and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast in oven for ~15 minutes at 400degF. Something I've learned: no need to peel beats, acorn squash, butternut squash, turnips, or potatoes. I'm surprised by how much quinoa I can eat (compared to rice). No real coherent plan here... just some random ideas. Oh, one last thing... sparkling water is awesome! Lots of luck! :)
  • sjd2007
    Options
    Thanks so much!!!!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Something I recently discovered were lentils. Sure, I've used them in soups before, but now they're a staple for lunch! 100 g of lentils, some pre-cooked chicken (65 g), and some cheese (15-20 g) makes a healthy and filling meal that I can eat cold or hot and that keeps me going through the afternoon. Sprinkle lentils and quinoa on salads for a nuttier flavour, try changing the texture of veggies (making a smooth puree, cooking or wilting), and invest in some quality spices and herbs. The last batch of mushrooms I did I used instead of rice or noodles for stir fry, and I made them super spicy with some chilli powder. They were delicious and made a definite change in my normal stir fry routine! Plus, cinnamon and clove on top of apples, bananas, and peaches before baking in the oven is absolutely delicious!