Calories for Workouts on here seem WAY to HIGH

Options
I just put in my bike ride. Which on the trainer for 78 mins at 15.5 mph was 957 calories...UMM no. If it was 1/2 that I would be impressed. But that would mean I could eat about a whole (maybe 1/2) of a cheesecake :)
My HRM that I have was not accurate either so who knows.

Replies

• LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    then just get an accurate HRM and input those numbers, thats what I do :wink:
  • jenstalder
    Options
    I live by my HRM (heart rate monitor) . It has a strap that i wear across my chest and is regulated by my heart rate.. so as my heart rate changes so does the amount of calories i burn..

My workout is 35-45 min. depending on the day. my heart rate is about 160-180 and i burn between 500-700.

You might think of getting one. I know GNC has some good ones and i sell them on my website as well. I do believe in them and it is very very accurate..

Hope it helps.

Here is my site incase you want to check it out.
    You can join as a free member and track your workouts and enter for daily prizes.

Have a great weekend.
    Jen
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I just put in my bike ride. Which on the trainer for 78 mins at 15.5 mph was 957 calories...UMM no. If it was 1/2 that I would be impressed. But that would mean I could eat about a whole (maybe 1/2) of a cheesecake :)
    My HRM that I have was not accurate either so who knows.

That might be a little off, but riding a bike, especially that fast, for that long, actually burns A LOT of calories, so at least 600-700 calories burned would not surprise me at all. If you don't think it's that high, then just reduce it to what you think it is! Better to go with too low then too high. And definitely invest in a better HRM!!:happy:

For me, the calories burned on here are usually too low. My HRM says a 20 minute walk burns 100 calories, and on here, it says maybe 65. BULL!!! I go with the HRM, ALWAYS, it's more accurate since it's constantly monitoring and adjusting.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with everyone above that I LIVE by my HRM. But the site I attached seems to match those figures perfectly, so you might just have done it! Either way, good luck (and if you can, get a new HRM!!)

http://www.nutristrategy.com/fitness/cycling.htm