• ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Switch it up; do them all.

Exactly!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, which is better, and why?

Can we have a bit of context for the question? :ohwell: Because when you get right down to it .... there is only ONE Best Exercise machine in the world ... and it is

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: The One You Consistently Use . :bigsmile: :bigsmile: (so "which ever one you are most drawn to" is The Correct Answer .... for no other reason than "because you are drawn to it"

Are you asking because you might buy one or the other? Wondering if the one you Don't use as often at the gym might up your burn? Just conducting an interest pole?

But Captain Apollo is right about elipticals being less impact if physio considerations are a factor.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Definitely the elliptical because it's easier on my knees and ankles. I also find the stationary bikes at our gym to really wear me out using their various programs - lately I like the interval training.

I also found that the treadmill helps you move so that when you hit real turf it's a lot different.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    Elliptical. I can't run at all due to a previously shattered ankle. Plus, the ellipticals at my gym automatically adjust the level to maintain target heart rate without going over. I've been doing it long enough now that my elliptical workout is now like running through sand. So, while I can't actually run, it's about as close an approximation as I can get.

And I hate bikes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm just wondering for fat-burning purposes, and of course toning. I have both machines at home, and can usually burn around 500 cal in 60 minutes on my treadmill. We just got the elliptical. I was just wondering which people preferred, and why.
    [/quote]

You should be able to burn more calories per hour on the elliptical machine as you can use upper body muscles as well. I managed 903 calories in an hour this week on an elliptical machine.
    Ideally use both, mix it up. I have damaged knees and back so often can't use a treadmill.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Better in what way? What are you hoping to achieve?
    Different exercises with different benefits.

I'm just wondering for fat-burning purposes, and of course toning. I have both machines at home, and can usually burn around 500 cal in 60 minutes on my treadmill. We just got the elliptical. I was just wondering which people preferred, and why.

IF both are available at home, and joint issue isn't part of the equation, then time will quickly show which is best on a given day depending on mood / available distraction (one may be better for "autopilot days" than the other one) / day in your training cycle etc. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, which is better, and why?

Can we have a bit of context for the question? :ohwell: Because when you get right down to it .... there is only ONE Best Exercise machine in the world ... and it is

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: The One You Consistently Use . :bigsmile: :bigsmile: (so "which ever one you are most drawn to" is The Correct Answer .... for no other reason than "because you are drawn to it"

Are you asking because you might buy one or the other? Wondering if the one you Don't use as often at the gym might up your burn? Just conducting an interest pole?

But Captain Apollo is right about elipticals being less impact if physio considerations are a factor.

love this one--and yes, I tend to use my treadmill alot more. I do have both at home, and as I said, just got the elliptical a few weeks ago. This was more or less to conduct an 'interesting poll', but I still was interested in seeing who thought they burned more on one or the other. Also, an FYI-I'm not up to the running bit yet. Hope to be soon tho!
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical mainly because its more entertaining for me. However, it makes my feet numb and cramp up so I cant stay on it long. Then I switch back to treadmill.

Ha! I get the dead feet too. My solution is to do a half hour in the morning and a half hour after work so I'm not doing the full hour all at once. I also lean back as far as I can so my weight is over my heels for 30 seconds every 5 minutes.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical because it's easier on my knees and back. On top of that, I burn more calories.
  • Asprina
    Options
    I absolutely love my eliptical. Treadmills hurt my feet and I have been told by my podiatrist to not get on them. It would be better to do your walking/running outside then on there. I get such a good workout on my elliptical though, I push myself to keep increasing the resistance while still going at the same rpms trying to improve and go harder each time I get on it. I make sure it's not just an easy workout. I have also used the arc at the gym and that thing is awesome but since I haven't been going to the gym and can't afford to buy my own... I'll keep using my eliptical for now. :)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    They're both boring as all get out, but I feel like I get a better workout on the Treadmill. However,I try to get outdoors and run whenever I can
  • mrclark09
    mrclark09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and I love it. I always run before my strength training. If I don't feel like running, I will walk at 4mph, incline of 6-8, with 5lb weights in my hands. Adding weight has definitely helped with burning more calories.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    My vote is for elliptical. This is due to having a bad knee for me. I'm sure it has other benefits, but that was the deciding factor for me.

You should try several before you decide though. They all feel a bit different and some feel very un-natural.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    treadmill...it usually weighs more...

which was intended as a joke to say "neither" with a meathead vibe to it....which no one would get and would be just a stupid reply...

so instead, scoff at me making fun of myself and lack of a witty sense of humor.

I need therapy...fml.

This made me laugh. A whole wee conversation with yourself that you realised maybe wasnt such a good idea but continued and explained :wink:

On topic never used an elliptical :( this saddens me
  • Cindy393
    Options
    wow, I love all these responses! It's good to see all the benefits everyone is getting from either machine. And I love the post about burning over 900 cals in 60 minutes on the elliptical. It'll be awhile before I see anything like that, but I'm determined. Loving the feedback!
  • Asprina
    Options
    My vote is for elliptical. This is due to having a bad knee for me. I'm sure it has other benefits, but that was the deciding factor for me.

You should try several before you decide though. They all feel a bit different and some feel very un-natural.

I agree with you there!! I found that out this summer. I am used to mine and how it works then when I went to my mom's this summer and was using hers, it was a completely different feel to it . It took me a week to get used to how it felt compared to mine. Came back after 2 months and had to readjust to using mine once again. My resistance, which might be because it is getting old, is alot harder going from one lvl to the next almost like it may have to be oiled or something.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

[/quote]

You should be able to burn more calories per hour on the elliptical machine as you can use upper body muscles as well. I managed 903 calories in an hour this week on an elliptical machine.
    Ideally use both, mix it up. I have damaged knees and back so often can't use a treadmill.
    [/quote]

you use ur upper body when you run also. but treadmill cross trainer is easier and sometimes considered better because of the lower impact
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Here's the only thing I don't think anyone has touched on, yet. With a motorized treadmill, you don't need to worry about your cadence. You set the speed that you need, and you have to keep up. With an elliptical,you can set the resistance, but if you aren't listening to music, your cadence will drop, and you'll lose your intensity without even realizing it. Do you listen to music when you workout? If not, I'd say: go with the treadmill.
  • ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use both every time I workout. I like the elliptical because I can go hard for an extended amount of time, but I like the treadmill for interval training, and I use it with the incline up all the way quite often. I would never choose just one, and I usually burn the same amount of calories as long as I have the treadmill settings to something appropriate.

To the people who love the arc trainer: HOW/WHY? Am I using the machine wrong? It KILLS my hips, and I don't burn nearly as many calories as I do on the elliptical or treadmill even if I keep my speed consistently above 130.
  • Cindy393
    Options
    I absolutely listen to music. I can't imagine 60 minutes on any machine without my ipod glued to my ears!