p90x can someone please give me the lowdown help!

selinee_81
selinee_81 Posts: 39 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
hi please if anyone could help me. i want to lose about 50 lbs and boyfriend is already doing the p90x and encouraging me to do it too. is it the right type of exercise programme for me for the weight i want to lose and also does everyone doing it eat the way they advise ? should i do additional exercise like the shred ? or what kind of things do you eat and last of all do you do the programme all the way through as instructed and do you go for reps with lower weights or heavier weights? i know that i`ve asked a million questions but i would like to do something that is beneficial in all ways . please if someone could advise me :)

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Bump because i want to know too.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,000 Member
    You're right. Those are a lot of questions!

Beachbody (the maker of P90X) has a chart to help people figure out which program to use for the results they want. The ones recommended for weight loss are Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, Rev Abs, Brazil Butt Lift, Power 90, Rockin Body, and Hip Hop Abs, in that order.

I've done Slim in 6 a couple of times and loved it. I've also done P90X and loved it too, but I'd recommend SI6 over X for weight loss. Turbo Jam also has tons of fans, although I didn't care for it personally.

Here's a link to a video that explains what Slim in 6 is all about:
    http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/PJilly?bctid=25219365001
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Well, I just got P90X for me to start when I go to graduate school in August (it was a Christmas gift). From reading the plans - you do need to be at a certain fitness level to start it. There is a fitness test you must complete first. I plan on using P90X to tone up and get off the last amount of weight (by the time I start it, I should only have about 10lbs or less to lose). I could say that you could start it to lose your weight - however, it is a really intense program and you need to meet a certain criteria before doing it.

If you can borrow your boyfriend's book that comes with the program, it will explain everything in there. For right now, I have been sticking to running, and circuit training aerobics (Jillian Michaels, boot camp at the gym) and that has been working well for me.
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    P90X is a 6 day a week program.
    If you don't presently lift, I would recommend that you do the Lean program. That gives you 2 days of weight training and 4 days of Cardio, one day of which is yoga.
    The Classic P90X is 3 days weights with 3 days Cardio.
    It's a good program but takes a real mental commitment because it is HARD. The first week will kick your behind, but you will get fit.

If you don't want to follow the diet portion of the plan I would suggest you don't do the program. One of the good things about theX is that its Diet AND Exercise.
    If you pay attention to the nutrition part of the program you will learn quite a bit about food and how to eat. If you don't you'll just be spinning your wheels while beating your body up.
  • BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    I wanted to start it to....
    There's a test to do before you start it (it's in the book). Myself, just by reading the test i knew i wasn't ready for P90X so I started power90 instead, wich is the same kind of program (also with Tony Horton). It easier and more basic that P90X but still a great workout, i've been loosing 3+lbs a week on it ( I also follow the diet plan).

From my personnal experience, it's no use to start to intence just to get hurt or quit cuz it's too hard.

Instead I've put "being able to do P90X" as one of my fitness goal

hope that helped!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Let's see...yes, I follow the nutrition guide, especially tw/the first round of p90x I did last summer but I also follow it now w/round 2.
    I go as heavy as I can w/my weights & do my push-ups "like a man" as well (on my toes, not on my knees)
    Yes, I followed the program as its laid out. I follow "the classic" routine, although now I do Insanity on cardio days.
    Yes, I also add on some extra cardio on most weights days.
    I only had about 9-10 lbs to lose the first time I did p90x. I lost that & dramatically toned up in those 90 days. My husband lost somewhere around 25lbs.
    I have no idea if its the right program for you, but as someone mentioned before there is a fit test to see if you're ready for p90x. There are many programs available from Beachbody if p90x is not right for you. I have no regrets about anything I've purchased from them. Just do your research on the programs & I'm sure you'll find one that fits you & your goals. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    After I stepped away, it occurred to me I had more thoughts on the matter than what I shared. First, I think the most important ingredient to weight loss is how you eat. And I think a key thing to consider when choosing a workout program is to choose something you will enjoy and that fits your personality.

You asked about the nutrition plan with P90X. I tried to follow it, but I found the high-protein, low-carb plan intolerable myself. I hadn't yet discovered MFP when I did P90X, but I plan to use this site for my nutrition if and when I do another round. I don't have a heart rate monitor yet, but I will seriously consider getting one for another round as well. I may get one even if I don't do another round, but I've been having pretty good success without having one so far.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, but it's based on personal experience. Hope it helps some!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member

The nutrition plan is actually a 3 phase plan that changes along w/the workout plan. It is not a high protein, low carb plan. By day 60-ish you should be up to consuming about 60% of your calories from carbs, The workouts are too intense to not eat carbs. P90x isn't a "diet prgram" it is more of a "fitness program". But yes, initially protein makes up the majority of your calories. However the nutrition guide explains how to listen to your body & if you need to make adjustments to that, it helps you do so.
  • PJilly
    I just pulled out my Nutrition Plan. I haven't looked at it in months and months. I stand corrected. You're right that by Phase 3, it's definitely not high-protein/low-carb. Thanks for pointing that out. :)
  • mdb120776
    mdb120776 Posts: 34 Member
    The p90x is great for losing weight but it is more for building muscles. But as we all know, muscles help with losing fat.
    I am not going to lie, it is hard the first week but that is just because you are just starting a new workout. Your muscles will ache but it is the good ache where you know you did well. If you do try this and are not use to weights, I would suggest going to Walmart and getting some 5 pound weights.
    The phases for eating does go along with what phase you are in. The first is a lot of protein because this will help your muscles, but in the third phase you are eating lots of carbs.
    This does show good results. Some may go through it and stop after a week or two and these videos are not cheap. You really need to have the want and drive to do it.
    If you do choose this, it does get easier after the first week just keep it going and good luck.
  • I am starting my 4th week on P90X. I am 5 foot 2 and weigh 135. I just want to let you know I am totally loving it! You really do need to follow the diet, fitness and tracking plans though. So far I've lost 6 inches and 4 pounds. I prefer to lose the inches first though that means I am building muscle. My clothes are fitting so much better now. It is hard, it takes a lot of energy and dedication but I love the variety. The workouts are hard but he always shows modified moves and the X Stretch is awesome. During the first week I did the stretch dvd 4 times because I was so sore. I found my copy on Craigslist.com some guy had bought two copies and mine was totally unopened. I saved a lot on it that way. Good luck!

Erika
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    I am starting my 4th week on P90X. I am 5 foot 2 and weigh 135. I just want to let you know I am totally loving it! You really do need to follow the diet, fitness and tracking plans though. So far I've lost 6 inches and 4 pounds. I prefer to lose the inches first though that means I am building muscle. My clothes are fitting so much better now. It is hard, it takes a lot of energy and dedication but I love the variety. The workouts are hard but he always shows modified moves and the X Stretch is awesome. During the first week I did the stretch dvd 4 times because I was so sore. I found my copy on Craigslist.com some guy had bought two copies and mine was totally unopened. I saved a lot on it that way. Good luck!

Erika

This makes me so excited to do P90X in the fall! :smile:
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    I thought I'd hop in here and ask a question about p90x as well! Does anyone have any thoughts on doing classic versus lean?
  • PJilly
    Most everyone I know will say to do the Classic rather than the Lean. However, I much preferred Lean to Classic. It's a little less focused on the strength-training aspects, and I found my old bones and joints appreciated the gentler approach. Also, I enjoyed the workouts more, which I think is something that can't be discounted. Either way you choose to do it is way better than not doing it at all, so you really can't go wrong!
This discussion has been closed.