Optimal macros for this type of exercise?

Options
Ok I know this topic has probably been covered many times but when I use the search function I have an impossible time reading the threads because there's a bunch of programming code mixed into the responses. So I'm sorry for the repeat.

I have multiple diagnoses but the bottom line is chronic pain. My doctor for a long time would not recommend any exercise other than walking. So I walked and walked and walked. :) But now I am much better (possibly nearing remission) and I want to do strength training. Pilates was suggested to me because it is a little strength training but also has a stretching component, which the doctor recommends for pain. I have just started this week and I really like it so far-- it decreases pain and my muscles are sore, which I imagine means I'm doing it right. So, on to the question.

Considering this type of exercise, which does work the muscles but could not really be considered lifting, do I need to change the way my macros are set up? Right now I'm on the automatic settings and I often go over on protein.

Second, since I am eating at a deficit it is my understanding that I will not build new muscle. So what is going to happen? Will my body composition change? Will I just strengthen the existing muscle fibers? (this question is strictly curiosity, since I want to get stronger no matter what the answer is)

Oh, one more minor question-- does the water retention that comes with a new exercise program go away? It seems like if I were really working the muscles every time I exercise then the water retention would be a pretty continual thing since I'd be needing muscle repair after every session. Am I misunderstanding this?

Thanks, and again, sorry if this is just a repeat of many many other threads. :)

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Are any of your issues manageable or made worse by nutritional choices? Eg some people with gout are told to reduce purine levels, which often means moving towards a lower protein diet. Would check that.

If nothing in particular's indicated, would guess that a balanced, food guide sort of diet - 5 fruit/veg a day, however many servings of lean proteins & whole grains - might give you the best insurance against excesses of any kind. Canada's food guide suggests 2-3 servings of meat or meat substitutes, eg 2 x 2.5 oz beef. That's ~ 40 grams of protein. In your theoretical 6-7 servings of grains, you could have some that have more protein (eg black beans, lentils). With protein from dairy sources, you could hit close to .8-1g/protein a day.

Pilates, if taught really well, will help you improve stability and function around joints, posture, balance, etc. (I know that in the UK, clinical Pilates is offered as part of rehab, for some.)

Would imagine that any muscle gains, though, would be unlikely. If they did happen, it would have to be through something ridiculous like hundreds & hundreds of repetitions. And doing hundreds & hundreds of repetitions is bad for joints, if that's an issue.

Maybe, see how you go over 6-12 months with Pilates, walking (maybe swimming?) & diet, & reassess with your doc or a good physiotherapist. Maybe at that point you could start a moderate strength program, under supervision.

(I am not a trainer or nutritionist or anything, plz check with whoever should be your check-in person)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I wasn't really planning on gaining muscle, I was just wondering about the science of what does happen if you're eating at a deficit but getting stronger. Like I said, it doesn't really matter. I have done pilates in the past and it did help me strengthen the muscles around the joints, which reduces pain and instability.

I assume then, that if I'm not gaining muscle, the MFP defaults for macros should be fine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Tried to look at your diary but it's closed. The most important factor when exercising in a deficit is adequate protein to protect lean muscle mass. Approximately 1 gram per lb of lean body mass. 1 Fats are the next priority at .35 to .4 grams per pound of body weight and carb for the rest.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    1g\lb of LBM protein, .45g\lb of LBM in fat, fill the rest of your calories with whatever you like.