vegan thanksgiving

Options
iangelab
iangelab Posts: 42 Member
new vegan, under a year, looking for meat alternatives for thanksgiving and christmas. I have seen some of the turkey substitutes out there and wondering who has tried them and what their favorite is (and favorite way to prepare) I want to be able to take something to family events that I can eat so no one feels uncomfortable with my new way of eating.

thanks!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have only tried a Quorn product. It wasn't too bad. Didn't really do much to dress it up though so I guess it could have been better.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Quorn isn't vegan, though, since there are egg whites in it, although I really think they are the best tasting (and I am vegetarian, not vegan). I think those 'field roast' things are vegan, and they tend to be strong-tasting, as in when I first ate them I loved them, and then got so sick of them that I have not eaten them in a year or more. Again, unsure if vegan or just vegetarian. Same for tofurkey--and I know that seitan is wheat gluten, so if you tolerate gluten, it can be tasty and enjoyable.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    My brother and sister are both veg, they eat a Tofurkey every year...it comes with dumplings, gravy, stuffing a fake "wishbone" which I think is cute. I eat meat, but I think this tastes good too...except for the gravy because it's mushroom based and I haaaaate mushrooms. :)
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I tried tofurky last christmas, it tasted good but I couldn't finish even one slice, it remembered me too much of real meat, if you don't mind that its a good alternative.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about Field Roast: http://www.fieldroast.com/ but have never tried them myself. I really don't like fake meat products.

My plan for Thanksgiving is to veganize my favorite sides and eat those and forego any kind of meat substitute. There are great recipes and ideas all over the internet, just Google "Vegan Thanksgiving recipes"

Some places I've gotten ideas is The Post Punk Kitchen, VegNews, Oh She Glows, Happy Herbivore, Plant-Powered Kitchen
  • kimclenard
    kimclenard Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I fix my Thanksgiving dinner the night before so I can still be in the kitchen with the family. I assist them in preparing the main meal because for me cooking together makes the memories. I love being in the kitchen with my family, that is where all the laughter is. This is my meal though:

1) I take one tofurkey dog and dice it up in the stuffing.
    2) I make the stuffing with veggie broth and add seasoning for flavor.
    3) I love my vegan mash potatoes. I just boil the potatoes use a vegan alternative for butter and soy milk, sea salt, pepper and a bit of fresh garlic for taste. Mash and they are ready to go.
    4) Sweet potatoes I just cube and bake with a bit of molasses. Simple but tasty.

The day of Thanksgiving I make my green beans. I saute in light oil until braised. Throw in some sliced almonds to toast with the beans. I season with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Everyone loves my green beans so we share those.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
  • iangelab
    iangelab Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks for the awesome info Kim! I am looking forward to trying out some new stuff vegan style and maybe it will inspire someone I know to eat more veggies in the process.

have an amazing thanksgiving everyone!