Net Calories - HELP please

HI there
So trying not to sound dumb, but can anyone please explain the net calories to me in simple term?.
I have 1280 calories to eat per day. Today's diary shows I have burnt 381 calories and a net of 883. I believe I am eating enough and I don't necessarily want to eat those calories I have burnt as I view it as exercise and I am trying to lose weight at the end of the day.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Gemma

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    883 calories is not enough for your body to function. You need to net 1280. Starving yourself to attempt to lose all your weight in the least amount of time isn't sustainable. Treat your body right, eat your minimum 1280 and you'll still lose the weight, but in a healthy way.
  • gemsp2
    gemsp2 Posts: 6 Member
    So if I've done exercise I should be looking at my net calories as my aim to eat then?
    Thanks
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    So if I've done exercise I should be looking at my net calories as my aim to eat then?
    Thanks

Yes, but many people only eat back half of their exercise calories. If you're hungry eat them all back for a couple weeks. At that time you can adjust.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    I usually only net 800-1000 if I work out that day. I know its under that sacred 1200 calories, but if Im not hungry or feeling deprived I wont eat them.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    you might feel okay TODAY, but you can't sustain yourself on that few of net calories for very long.

net calories = total calories you've eaten for the day MINUS any calories burned from exercise (not daily activiities)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    just don't make netting 800 calories a habit.

wouldn't want you to keel over at work or while driving or something.
  • JHoelck0928
    JHoelck0928 Posts: 93 Member
    I started out eating 1200 calories because that was what MFP gave me for a number and I did the same thing for 6 weeks. I was only netting between 800-1000 and I lost 15 pounds, but then I couldn't lose anymore and I felt like crap. Needless to say I stopped that and now eat between 1400-1600 and feel a lot better. Everyone is different but for me it made losing the weight harder. Good luck.