Question about Vicodin/Lortab...possible TMI

Options
I normally don't take anything for pain stronger than Tylenol. However, I had surgery yesterday and I'm in pain! So I'm taking this stuff, because I'm not trying to be a hero.:frown:

They gave me the equivalent of liquid vicodin, and I'm taking it as perscribed. 15-20 ML every 4-6 hours. I'm doing every 4 hours because I tried to wait 6 hours so I could get a decent amount of sleep last night and woke up automatically in severe pain. My doctor did warn me that I would need it.

My question is this..... I can't feel when I have to pee and I haven't had a BM in 2 days. The surgery was Friday morning. I CAN pee, I just can't feel it. I have to make sure I try every couple hours.
I'm not eating solid food because the surgery was on my soft palate and I have some stitches there. So I'm drinking nutrition shakes (HMR 70) and soups. I'm drinking lots of water. Besides feeling woosy and sleepy and still feeling some pain, I feel fine otherwise. My cals are still in the 1100 range even without solids.

Since I'm not used to the effects of this medicine, I'm just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks and sorry for the TMI.:embarassed:
Holly

Replies

• sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi there...neither of your problems is abnormal, especially if you are opioid naive. However, if you usually have a poop daily, you might want to consider a mild laxative or prune juice so you don't get completely bunged up.

All that being said, after you have finished with the narcotics, if you still have problems feeling when you need to pee, you might want to consider a visit to your family doctor.

Hope this helps
    Beth
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    It does, thank you! I have some herbal tea that I can try. Hopefully I won't need to take this stuff beyond tomorrow. As long as I'm not going crazy, I'm happy:laugh: (But I can see now why people get all excited about these types of meds, lol. Not that I'd want to take it beyond this situation, but it is interesting:tongue: )

Thanks for answering!
    Holly
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    I was given vicodin after the hysterectomy, and yes, damn the constipation was dreadful. Prune juice and mild overnight laxatives helped, but I really had to take plenty to get relief. Not fun! As far as the lack of feeling when you need to pee, I suspect it is just the overall numbness. Have some prune juice, it's worth the calories!