From the Heart of Alaska!

Options
Hello! I am a newbie here and posting from the Interior of Alaska.

Over a year ago, my brother passed away suddenly from a series of strokes due to diabetes. He was a young 47.
Because I share his same gene pool, I was determined to change my unhealthy habits and go for one of Alaska's hardest and oldest foot races: Mt. Marathon (Seward, AK on July 4th)
My first race was last year and I didn't do as well as I thought that I would. I still finished it, but did not qualify by one minute and 18 seconds to be a senior runner for this year's race.

Although I am still struggling with weight issues, I plan on losing a significant amount of my weight and doing better on the 2 races that I am going after. One will be the Gold Nugget Triathlon (less than 1/2 triath) which is an all woman race in Anchorage, Alaska. The other will be Mt. Marathon once again in Seward, Alaska.

My sister suggested that I join MyFitnessPal to learn more closely about my calorie counting and my eating habits. I hope that I could determine that the lack of weight loss is due to what I am intaking food wise rather than the lack of fitness activity because I consider myself to be pretty fit yet still overweight. Don't let my pictures fool you. I could handle losing a good 60lbs!

Let's see what the next couple of months holds for me and I am excited to be joining this journey with all of you, too!