English Is Dumb

Replies

• Call me an English lover but they have their purpose. For example, ou and u and o are not the same. Tuff is not the same as tough in pronounciation, there is a slight difference.
  • slavonka23
    slavonka23 Posts: 177 Member
    try to learn hungarian, and then come back :laugh:

mission impossible :noway:
  • Or try to learn Dutch spelling. Even most of the natives are struggling with it.
  • I did not realise how difficult English was until I learnt Spanish. Most European languages pronounce every letter in a word, that's just not the case with English.

Since then I have total respect for someone who has learnt English as a second language, as I know first hand how difficult that can be. :o)
  • roxyhourican
    roxyhourican Posts: 16 Member
    English is my second language.... really easy to learn
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    I just don't understand why people whose first language is English, are always complaining about how hard it is.
    English is my third language and I think it is piss easy. Especially compared to other languages.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    English is the HARDEST language to learn. It's a fact.

HAHAHAHAHA....

No.

--P
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

I don't know where you get your "facts" from however as someone who at one point in life spoke 9 languages, I can assure you this is not the case.

But then again, English can be hard for some but Chinese could be hard for others. It is all relative
  • My main language is Dutch, I learned English as a second language and I find it incredibly easy. Sure, prononciations are strange, \i will totally agree there. But your verb system is so easy! Apart from the s for he / she it's pretty much the same verb for every person. Can't do that in Dutch. Ok, so there's exceptions, but all of those exceptions fit on three pages in my English book.

Nope, English is damned easy in comparison to Dutch.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    English is my second language.... really easy to learn

Really? What was your first language?
  • D4C_Lets_face_it_English_is_a_crazy_language1-520x367.jpg
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    I've been studying English for about 15 years total and on my last trip to the US I found out that people still don't understand when I say that I need a 'cab'. No matter how hard I try, they hear 'cub' or 'keb' or something XD i still can't get the pronunciation right!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member

Certainly, there are many indigenous people who live in England and can't speak properly. Innit.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    This is a funny thread. I've always benn told by people who speak English as a second language that it's easier than most, just a little tricky here and there.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member

tumblr_mc2s709W791qdtizw.gif

you might want to google that. fact.

notsureiftrolling4661e3.jpg
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    My first language is German, my second is English and my third is Arabic....needless to say that English is the easiest of them.

If you want a complicated language to learn-try Arabic...
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    This is a funny thread. I've always benn told by people who speak English as a second language that it's easier than most, just a little tricky here and there.

It is easier than most I agree. As you say, it's tricky here and there!

Take use. Two different pronunciations for two different meanings, therefore when you're reading a sentence you are subconciously reading 2 or 3 words in advance in order to be able to use the correct pronunciation

Try reading these out loud without first reading them in your head...

Use of animals in research is controversal

Use the correct tool for the job
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    English is a beautiful and nuanced language that I mangle on a daily basis.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    I've been studying English for about 15 years total and on my last trip to the US I found out that people still don't understand when I say that I need a 'cab'. No matter how hard I try, they hear 'cub' or 'keb' or something XD i still can't get the pronunciation right!
    That is when I use the word Taxi instead :)