Does this site give everyone 1200 a day?

Options
I recently joined and it seemed regardless of what is entered, the calories for weight loss is always 1200. But then if that is what you eat or below, it tells you that your body will be in starvation mode and weight loss will not happen. What gives? How do we really determine the amount of calories to consume to get to our goal weight without starvation?

Replies

• Madelinew22
    Options
    well most ppl are lightly active and are supposed to choose a realistic amount of weight to loose each week like .5-1 pound a week. and if u workout daily ur supposed to choose very active and ur supposed to eat back ur exercise calories
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That's because most people have desk jobs and choose the 2 lb/week goal which puts them at 1200 or less but MFP won't let you go below 1200. The 2 lb/week setting should only be used by those who have 100 lbs or so to lose. You can't expect to lose large amounts per week if you don't have a lot to use. Healthy weight loss is no more than 1% per of your body weight.
  • Manapaws
    Manapaws Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    nope, i am 1950 a day,
  • ysnalvi
    ysnalvi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I put myself on 900 calories per day, as per my Doctor and I started to lose weight, on 1200 it didn't matter if I did excercise, I didn't lose any wieght.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Nah it gave me 1350 sedentary set to lose 1 lb/week
  • SeahawkFan1
    Options
    Mine is 1730 because i sit on my *kitten* all day and i want to lose 2 pounds a week. But i think the more you exercise the more it will give you more calories.
  • DCSO517
    Options
    Naw, gave me 1470 a day and way more when I exercise.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    It depends on what you set your goals as and various factors come into play when determining how many calories you need. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) are two numbers you should be aware of to determine your calorie intake.

There's a road map an MFPer made to help you. Here's the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Wish you the best of luck!
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine gives me 1560 per day on a "lightly active" setting at a 1lb a week loss. According to other online calculators my BMR is 1613 so I eat between 1560-1613 and consistantly lose weight or inches each week.

Goodluck.
  • leonorton
    leonorton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    no it depends on your starting weight and lifestile. It started me at 1875 and as i lost weight it has lowered my calories in increments over time based on weight loss. I am currently at 1470. Also the program will add calories to your total based on the cardio excersize you enter in on a given day. It helps to be rewarded for excersizing. I have found it alot easier to loose weight with both diet and exersize. I dish my food up with mesuring cups to be as accrate as possible. so far I have lost 56 lbs.

Good luck.