Chicken Avocado Soup

Options
ILiftHeavyAcrylics
ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
Ok I know this doesn't immediately sound good but I promise it is (assuming you like all the ingredients, of course), and it is reasonably low calorie as well. I made it as a copycat recipe for the soup at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants that I don't live close to anymore.

Chicken Avocado Soup (serves 2)
4 oz chicken breast, seasoned with salt, pepper, and cumin, baked and then shredded
2 cups swanson chicken broth
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 large carrot, sliced
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
.5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 avocado, sliced
Juice of 1 lime

Bake and shred chicken and cook quinoa before hand. The original soup had rice, not quinoa, and I'm sure it would work just as well. Heat oil in the bottom of a small pot. Add garlic, onion, and carrot. Cook, stirring often, until onions are translucent. Add chicken broth, cilantro, and lime juice and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender. Add chicken and quinoa, simmer until hot. Remove from heat and add avocado. If you cook the avocado it will turn brown. You want to let it get warm in the hot soup, but you don't actually want it to cook. Divide into two portions. Enjoy!

Ok so the calorie count is iffy because there are so many different listings for avocados in the database, but the one I chose said a whole avocado is 240 cals. If this is incorrect please let me know!

Calories per serving: 325, Carbs: 24, Protein: 21, Fat: 18

Replies