olive oil or butter

Options
Just wondering what is better to cook with nutritionaly speaking? Like if I'm cooking eggs what is better to cook with. I have looked on the internet and it appears that everyone has a different opinon.

Replies

• MsBookandTea
    MsBookandTea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Anything in moderation is ok.

I typically use coconut oil if need be. But I think a little butter won't hurt ya! :bigsmile:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Apparently when you heat olive oil above a certain temperature it loses some of it's nutritional benefits. That being said, everything in moderation.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I cook my eggs in coconut oil, and put butter on my toast. :bigsmile:
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to look into coconut oil. Thanks
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I use low cal butter or cooking spray =)

But I have a weird thing about oils
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I use Pam and MFP has it in the food database......
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    for frying an egg I use cannola spray. i read in the lean & clean book heating olive oil up to a very high temperature changes its molecule structure and then becomes a bad fat, so the author advised agaist cooking at high temps with olive oil. Have no advice on butter.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For frying eggs I use a combination of either sunflower or rapeseed oil and a knob of butter. if I'm pan frying meats then I use just oil, rubbed directly onto the meat not poured into the pan.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on your macros and what your specific nutrition goals. I prefer PAM spray to cook eggs with, myself.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Just count the calories in whatever choice you make.

A little butter here and there won't hurt - I probably personally consume 2-3T a week of the stuff. I also use olive oil. And I rotate in some cooking spray here and there too.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I typically use coconut oil if need be. But I think a little butter won't hurt ya! :bigsmile:

Nutritionally, or health speaking, polyunsaturated or monounsaturated oils like olive, canola, sunflower, safflower, etc. are better for our arteries than margarine or butter. Fats that are solid at room temp are loaded with saturated fats. But, in moderation, butter or margarine is o.k. As are most things......
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    They both have nutritional benefits, though olive oil will probably be a bit better in terms of antioxidants.
  • xRedHeaterx
    xRedHeaterx Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Nutritionally, or health speaking, polyunsaturated or monounsaturated oils like olive, canola, sunflower, safflower, etc. are better for our arteries than margarine or butter. Fats that are solid at room temp are loaded with saturated fats. But, in moderation, butter or margarine is o.k. As are most things......

This is basically the reason I tend to use olive oil when cooking, its the advice I have heard in the past. I'm re-learning everything though as some things I thought were correct have proved to be questionable.

Strangely since starting this weight loss program I have more butter than I used to. I figure calorie-wise its not so different to margarine, so why not treat myself? I only have a little bit on a piece of toast every now and then (and in scrambled eggs). Its hardly going to kill me, my diet is low fat anyway. Its controlled and accounted for butter eating rather than the sort of eating habits I have adopted in the past.
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love butter. I fry everything in butter :]

Coconut oil is really nice too. Its yummy and healthy and allows you to cook at a higher temperature without burning or steaming but a lot more expensive than butter...
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I prefer olive oil, it has lots of benefits
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Butter can have lower calories

But olive oil is more nutritious
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just use spray.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Me and my mother usually use grape seed oil. Whatever you use, though, just use it in moderation.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Either is good depending on your preference that day.