Need Suggestions

Options
Hi everyone. I need some suggestions on some good cardio workouts for a person with nerve damage in the left knee and weak cartiledge in both knees. I am doing well with my program but I still need to do more cardio but I have to find something that is not going to kill my knees. My goal is to lose 13 more pounds and tone up and I am not on a deadline. Right now I am doing low impact cardio and walking on the treadmill. Is this enough or is there something else I could do? Any help would be appreciated. P.S. I can't run at all it puts way to much stress on my knees!

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I need some suggestions on some good cardio workouts for a person with nerve damage in the left knee and weak cartiledge in both knees. I am doing well with my program but I still need to do more cardio but I have to find something that is not going to kill my knees. My goal is to lose 13 more pounds and tone up and I am not on a deadline. Right now I am doing low impact cardio and walking on the treadmill. Is this enough or is there something else I could do? Any help would be appreciated. P.S. I can't run at all it puts way to much stress on my knees!
    Hey Bama! Have you tried an elliptical? You really do not lift your foot at all! I love the elliptical cuz it does not hurt my back like running on a treadmill or ground does!
    Verda
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a spinning class (High Cardio, Low Impact) or using the Elliptical? I am a ruuner but I use the spin classes as a cross-training exercise to offset my running. Very intense, high-calorie buring exercise.
  • EMcapaul
    Options
    I would also recommend the elliptical or Cybex Arc Trainer machine. I have had 3 knee injuries and 1 surgery and cortisone shots. The elliptical provides a great cardio workout with low impact on the knees. Spinning is also good, but can lead to soreness if you do not pedal correctly.
  • bshwckr
    Options
    Lap swimming, freestyle. Your knees will love it. and it is really good for your fitness. Try to build up to where you are doing more than 30 minutes lap swimming at a time.
    I lost 20kg 6 years ago just from swimming and it got me to a level of fitness where I could then do harder exercise that saw me drop another 10kg. In the last 5 years, half this weight has crept back on. Over the last 3 weeks I have again shed 4kg just by swimming laps (oh, and eating better).
    Have you really lost 113lbs That's awesome! Maybe your knees are bad from all the jumping for joy you must be doing :-)
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Our Y has a machine that is like a bicycle for the arms. It's a cardio/aerobic workout, but doesn't use the legs at all. From what I understand, using the arms at chest height or higher increases the cardio aspect. So, if you can incorporate your arms in whatever you do, that should increase the number of calories you are burning.
    Good luck!!
    Zaza
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, I would say lap swimming too. It's a good cardio workout and you're joints will get a break.
    But low impact cardio is still cardio. Do what you can do without causing pain.
    God bless,
    Karen
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Thank yall. I am going to look at getting an elliptical this spring after I have a yard sale. I will be glad when summer gets here so I will be able to get in the pool. For now I will keep doing what I am doing the treadmill works pretty good I just get bored with it so easily.