thighs are getting bulky.Advice pls?

Options

Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I know that i could never do cardio only, i love liftiing too much and i like that its helping shape my body, just dont like my big thighs. I will try lowering the weight and upping the rep on lower body stuff though.
    what exercise do u do with weights for lower body?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I know that i could never do cardio only, i love liftiing too much and i like that its helping shape my body, just dont like my big thighs. I will try lowering the weight and upping the rep on lower body stuff though.
    what exercise do u do with weights for lower body?

Squats, lunges, deadlifts
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Stop wasting time on machines and get in the squat rack.. lift heavy. You should be increasing weight nearly every workout. If you want to do 12-15 reps fine but if you can do 15, increase the weight. When you hit 15 again after 3 sets, increase the weight. While you are squating *kitten* the the ground do some barbell lunges also. Same thing, heavy. Free weights will do much much more for u than machines.
    how do we do squats with weight and how to do barbell lifts?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mine are doing the same since I started doing a LOT of squats. It's been about a month but I'm hoping that eventually they will come down. But I've always had big thighs. At least now they are big and firm. :ohwell:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you to help. I am also short, 5'3" and my thighs and calves are solid muscle. My pants fit fine but I don't like how the tops of my thighs 'bow' out farther than any other body part on me. Yeah, it's better than having my stomach stick out farther than my legs but I don't really care for it. I'm pretty sure it's because I walked/biked/jogged 1,000 miles since January. I don't lift weights at all but I'm thinking about it, not for my thighs though, mainly for my stomach and back.
    Good luck and let us know if anything helped. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Stop wasting time on machines and get in the squat rack.. lift heavy. You should be increasing weight nearly every workout. If you want to do 12-15 reps fine but if you can do 15, increase the weight. When you hit 15 again after 3 sets, increase the weight. While you are squating *kitten* the the ground do some barbell lunges also. Same thing, heavy. Free weights will do much much more for u than machines.
    how do we do squats with weight and how to do barbell lifts?

A barbell lift is just a lift you do with a barbell - any lift. if you are asking about barbell lunges - imo you should start out doing dumbbell lunges - you may never get to a position where barbell lunges make sense to do. Look up Mark Rippetoe's videos on youtube for squats.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Ever noticed that bulky powerlifters train REALLY heavy but only a few reps? While lean sculpters train higher reps? My trainers used to always get me to train over 15 reps while sculpting, and under when I had to bulk up (say to even out a thigh!). Maybe try higher reps, even if it means going slightly lower in weight (but always lift as high as you can for the intended number of reps)

This is false.... heavy weight/low reps will NOT bulk you up, especially if you are on a calorie deficit. In fact, fat loss is the same whether you do 6 reps or 15 reps but here is the major difference, high weight/low rep is much better for strength gains. Also, high weight low rep will increase you explosive power where low weigh/high rep will increase endurance.

Muscle is what makes a body tight and lean and the more you have, the leaner your body will be. OP, as someone already stated, its probably water retention.

You are wrong, one can gain a significant amount of muscle training at low reps. Haven't you even seen power lifter?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have found just walking, doing cycling(including hills or high resistance/interval) and elliptical(interval) has left my thighs rock solid, with no need to do weights. I was warned off weight machines and weights if I wish to keep my thighs smaller by a personal trainer actually. I just focussing on my upper body for the weight work as the cardio seems to do just fine in terms of my legs.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Thinking back about my own personal experiences, when I had more fat, my legs got bigger when I lifted heavy, low reps. However, now that I've dropped from 20% BF to 12% BF, there's less size despite lifting heavier than before because there's less fat around that area. I can see the shape of the quads, whereas before, I couldn't and just had big thighs. (TBH I prefer the "fat" look - made my legs look big which is what I wanted.)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I have found just walking, doing cycling(including hills or high resistance/interval) and elliptical(interval) has left my thighs rock solid, with no need to do weights. I was warned off weight machines and weights if I wish to keep my thighs smaller by a personal trainer actually. I just focussing on my upper body for the weight work as the cardio seems to do just fine in terms of my legs.
    I can't imagine a personal trainer instructing clients to neglect one portion of the body in such a manner that would intentionally lead to muscular imbalance and asymmetry.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ever noticed that bulky powerlifters train REALLY heavy but only a few reps? While lean sculpters train higher reps? My trainers used to always get me to train over 15 reps while sculpting, and under when I had to bulk up (say to even out a thigh!). Maybe try higher reps, even if it means going slightly lower in weight (but always lift as high as you can for the intended number of reps)

This is false.... heavy weight/low reps will NOT bulk you up, especially if you are on a calorie deficit. In fact, fat loss is the same whether you do 6 reps or 15 reps but here is the major difference, high weight/low rep is much better for strength gains. Also, high weight low rep will increase you explosive power where low weigh/high rep will increase endurance.

Muscle is what makes a body tight and lean and the more you have, the leaner your body will be. OP, as someone already stated, its probably water retention.

You are wrong, one can gain a significant amount of muscle training at low reps. Haven't you even seen power lifter?

Are you responding to me of the person I quoted?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    False.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

End of thread.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you are "getting bulky" as you describe... It's prob. just water retention as the muscles repair themselves.

If you are super worried about it, then stop weight training and let the muscle atrophy. Then you'll have skinny legs, but flabby ones instead of tight/toned ones.
    Nonsense.

"Bulk" on women happen because there's a layer of fat over the muscles you're working on.
    The email from the personal trainer was pretty spot on.

Assuming you are eating at a deficit, it will not be you getting 'bulky'. Women eating at a deficit, who are new to training, can only gain approx 1 - 2lb of muscle (newbie gains) and that is all over your body. This is not enough to make your thighs huge. If your pants are snug it will be water retention in the muscles. I know that when I do legs at the gym my jeans are a little more snug around the thighs due to this. It is temporary (to a degree as if you keep working them the retention will stay to a degree) and is not muscle.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Nonsense.

"Bulk" on women happen because there's a layer of fat over the muscles you're working on.

That and the mechanism of fluid retention after weight training isn't understood. So they assumed they have accomplished what no other women can, gain massive amounts of muscle overnight.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    See a tailor and embrace the powerful new you. Those muscles burn a lot of calories. Skinny is over-rated. I'm guessing those muscular legs look hot!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Powerlifters are powerlifters, they lift and eat for strength and not for aesthetics, and they usually have a higher body fat because they aren't dieting for aesthetics such as "lean sculpters" would.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find running amazing for my legs. I have naturally good ones, but they don't have a mm of fat on them now. I certainly have no desire or use for leg weights.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    A woman with thick thighs is sexy! Just my point of view!
  • VelvetAcidVixen
    Options
    In my experience it's fat that makes your thighs look "bulky". When I lift heavy AND am low bf% my legs are the smallest. It's when I get sloppy with diet that they "bulk up". Not saying that you're being sloppy with you diet, but if you're at some median point in weight loss where you still have some fat on that area, that could be what's bothering you.

That or it's a preference thing, I like my thighs to look shapely and firm but not twiggy. Runway models purposefully don't work out AND have a very low bf% so that their thighs have that ultra skinny look.