The Truth About Water

Options
Here is a great article about water (and yes, it helps you lose weight!):

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/10-myths-and-facts-about-water.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthDietandNutrition_20121108

Fact. Drinking water won’t specifically trigger weight loss, but it can aid in the process. Water replaces other calorie-laden beverages in the diet, causing you to reduce your overall number of calories. Plus, it can make you feel fuller, so you may eat less at each meal. Water, particularly cold water, may even play a role in increasing your metabolism......

Replies

• chrissydobash78
    Options
    definitely true, before when i worked out i drank soda instead of water b/c i hated the taste of tap water. Now that i've started working out again i drink cold water. By drinking cold water while i work out i find i crave water when i don't work out, cutting out the soda almost completely. i'm no saint i do drink a glass a day to keep my sugar up:)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It will also help you lose weight if you eat celery instead of candy bars but it's only the replacing of a high calorie food with a low calorie food. Water has no magic properties.
  • marialleras
    Options
    Here is a great article about water (and yes, it helps you lose weight!):

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/10-myths-and-facts-about-water.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthDietandNutrition_20121108

Fact. Drinking water won’t specifically trigger weight loss, but it can aid in the process. Water replaces other calorie-laden beverages in the diet, causing you to reduce your overall number of calories. Plus, it can make you feel fuller, so you may eat less at each meal. Water, particularly cold water, may even play a role in increasing your metabolism......

Read it thaank fo the update!!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Good points. All true. I drink water like crazy. Well... at least I try. It gets harder in cold weather. But... it definitely helps to keep me full faster and longer. And, I think I heard somewhere that the colder the water is, the more it boosts your metabolism.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I too hated drinking water. I started to add the flavor packet (diet of course) to my water to help curb the non-flavor thing. Now I crave the water all the time and it doesn't matter. They also say to drink 8 oz of water before you eat meals and this will also help you not to eat as much because you've already started to fill your stomach! And ice cold water....definitely on the spot, they say it boosts your metabolism.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It will also help you lose weight if you eat celery instead of candy bars but it's only the replacing of a high calorie food with a low calorie food. Water has no magic properties.

Only the fact your body is mostly water & you MUST replace it.... nope nothing magic about that at all.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Excellent points. I drink a minimum of 12 glasses a day.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Im new and I am trying to get into a better habit of drinking water... Its so difficult, I really have to concentrate and make sure it gets done other wise I will drink only say 2 cups a day... its not my favorite thing to do.. :/
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    water is necessary to keep your body hydrated. But I don't understand how water can keep you full when it is a liquid in your stomach that slips easily from an empty stomach thru the pyloris valve in spurts and into the intestines.
  • RaViCa
    RaViCa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That was very helpful.
  • miss_metal
    miss_metal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I have found that If I drink as much as I can as soon as I get up in the morning it really helps
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Im new and I am trying to get into a better habit of drinking water... Its so difficult, I really have to concentrate and make sure it gets done other wise I will drink only say 2 cups a day... its not my favorite thing to do.. :/

I use old Coke bottles...I have one permanently attached to my hand and when it's empty, I grab a new one out of the fridge. I use Crytal Light, Mio or something like that to add a little flavour occasionally to break up the monotony of the water.
    I also drink green tea or have hot water with honey, ginger, lemon and/or cinnamon in it...I still get the water with different flavour boosts and some added benefits regarding digestion and such.
    When I work out, I have 2 1 litre bottles of cold water on hand...if I'm at the gym, I usually drink from their coolers that are dotted around too.
  • kinkofit
    kinkofit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I drink 6-8 bottles of water per day. i still do not cut out diet soda. Never have cut it out, and never will, but i drink so much water that the diet soda is fine with me
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious thread or troll thread