NSV: This girl can't run fast but she can get it done !!

Options
lizz_617
lizz_617 Posts: 46 Member
I have a race called the turkey trot to do on thanksgiving morning... it's 5 miles not a 5 k but actually five miles.... my goal is to do it in an hour and 15 minutes or less... i know that is a long time but hey today was my first outdoor run/walk.... and to say the least it took my 56 mins to go 4 miles that's a big accomplishment for me...

HELP-- why can i run much longer on a treadmill then outside??

Replies

• leanveins
    leanveins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I can run longer on the treadmill too. I think mostly it is because on a treadmill your pace is controlled for you ,outside you are running at a faster pace. I have also read you should keep your treadmill at an incline of at least a 1 to mimic the terrain outside.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    a treadmill has a consistent incline--or lack thereof, while outside has mixed terrain generally. Also, the temperature and wind resistance are not controllable outdoors while indoors there's no resistance and often the temperature is rather comfortable.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm doing a 5 miler on Thanksgiving as well. The treadmill/road issue is quite common. I believe it is due to slight differences in your stride and also the difference in terrain. Every step on the treadmill could be exactly the same but running outside may have minor hills and require you to pay more attention to footing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!