is it normal

Options
to fluctuate 2-3 lbs on a daily basis? Yesterday i weighed 3 lbs less than today. This seems to be a trend in the last 20 lbs I've lost. i'm just curious if this is normal, or if maybe i ate the wrong foods, too much salt, not enough water, and so on..

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    A lot of things can cause your weight to fluctuate, yes it is totally normal.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It's normal for me, well not 3 pounds, but fluctuations yes.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Fluctuation is normal. I'm finding that my weight is fluctuating a lot more day-to-day now that I am close to my goal. It wasn't as bad when I had a lot more to lose.
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yes
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Fluctuation is normal. I'm finding that my weight is fluctuating a lot more day-to-day now that I am close to my goal. It wasn't as bad when I had a lot more to lose.

Agree
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes--don't weigh yourself every day or you'll go nuts.

And I'm from ABQ! Yea New Mexico!! I miss it very, very much.
  • fsutony
    Options
    i have that problem too now that im starting to get down to my target weight.Might be water weight.If i eat too much salt for a couple of days i can retain about 2 pounds of water.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, a two to three pound weight fluctuation from day to day is completely normal and usual and does not indicate any weight gain, and there is no reason to do anything different as a result of that normal fluctuation. Only if you go beyond a 4 pound weight change (weighing yourself at the same time under the same conditions) would that even start to be considered the very beginning of a minimal possible weight gain.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    It could be too much sodium. Not enough water. It could be what you ate. Increase ur water, watch ur salt intake and watch what ur eating before going to bed. I wouldn't eat 90 minutes prior to bed time if at all possible. I hope this helps
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Happens to me quite often. I find the more water I drink the less my weight has fluctuations like this - sometimes it's been 5 lbs in a day!!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I lost over 2 lbs this morning with a poop and a sweaty cardio workout.

edit to clarify that the two were unrelated.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yep! That's why I try and weigh myself every other day..
  • enigmachik
    Options

omg, the edit clarification has me dying. too funny
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Or... weigh yourself every day, so that you understand the fluctuations and no longer go nuts! :flowerforyou:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am a daily weigher and have been for years. I need to track what I eat and then see how the scale reacts. Eating Mexican food, Chinese food, and in short most restaurant foods are so salt and oil laden that weight can go up 2 pounds easily over night for me if I eat these. Salt, sugar, and oil are the main culprits for me - along with eating too many refined carbs that cause the innards to screech to a halt! I asked my normal weight friend and she told me her weight also fluctuates 3 pounds on a regular basis. I've adjusted to it and lost a couple of more pounds (to have a lower baseline) to compensate for when that happens to me.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Or... weigh yourself every day, so that you understand the fluctuations and no longer go nuts! :flowerforyou:

^ ^ This. I weigh myself every day (actually 2x a day) and it helps to remind me that there WILL be those daily fluctuations. When I have a day with a high salt intake my weight can easily fluctuate 2-3 pounds. It's something to keep an eye on since I don't want to do that very often, but it's totally normal.
  • garciabnm
    Options

omg, the edit clarification has me dying. too funny
    [/
    that is too funny!!!quote]
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's not normal