Overload...

Options
A month down the line of dieting and exercising im roughly a stone lighter and still 100% motivated to be fit and healthy but I think ive reached diet information saturation point!

I began this with a strict menu and exercise combo supplemented my a multivitamin and slimming pills. The idea was to try and quickly shed a few lbs to boost me on my way and get myself used to smaller portions of food, thus boosting my motivation and proving to myself that i can do it!
The idea was then to phase out the slimming pills and the very limited diet and replace them with small portions and healthy balanced meals whilst maintaining a good exercise regimen that i could maintain indefinitely - Lifestyle change.
Well as most would expect I had a few knocks to my motivation in the form of faulty/inaccurate scales and a couple of days where i binged a little but in general i was happy with the overall direction i was heading.

The problem i am facing now however is the over-abundance of information, most of it conflicting, and its almost like weight-loss is becoming a new full time occupation rather than a lifestyle adjustment.
'normal people' do NOT plan and eat their three squares wondering if they are getting their macro-nutritional balance right etc. there just isn't enough time in the frikken day!

This might sound like a bunch of excuses to quit or like im talking myself out of doing this but im not. I am still 100% committed to making this change and i know that im just going to have to keep trying different approaches until i crack it but gees its driving me nuts! lol

So its another fresh start tomorrow, Ive got Week 2 Day 2 of the C25K challenge today so hopefully i can run off some of this frustration.

Now the NEW plan is to stick with the menu almost but replace the tinned soup with fresh home-made soup (still only 110cals per serving), and drop all the pills and caffeine( diet coke), exercise 6 days a week instead of seven, and take a 'rest day' on saturday but still log all my cals, the soup i will make from scratch at the weekend and then freeze in portions for my lunch in the week. I have bought yet ANOTHER set of scales which have gotten excellent reviews in consumer test sites and seem to be consistent even if they do make me heavier than the old scales :0( lol
the new scales also hook up to my laptop and convert the data they collect into graphs tracking weight, body fat % muscle mass% water % and visceral fat as well as BMI and BMR so im going to continue to weigh myself daily and then once a week post the info to my blog *GULP!* so fingers crossed, im going to give this at least a month this time and see how it goes...

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about conflicting information! I have A LOT of information in my head about losing weight, living healthy, etc. A lot of it is conflicting. It can be very frustrating but I think mostly it's due to different things working for different people. I think it's a lot of trial and error and even keeping things changed up a bit so our bodies don't get used to the same thing everyday.

Good luck to you, you've done sooo great so far!
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks Arienna :0) I totally agree! I think you nailed it when you said [quoteit's due to different things working for different people[/quote]

And there lies the trouble lol There's so many people/companies out there saying this works and that doesnt its enough to drive you nuts!

but when you think about it, there is only one way and thats to reduce your calorific intake and increase the amount of calories you burn. Everything else is just garnish.

I do think that the rest of the problem is probably psychological/behavioural at least in my experience, i know that i used food in some instances as a substitution when i quit smoking three years ago. I was quite a heavy smoker for about ten years or so and when i quit i started chewing gum and eating more in the way of snacks etc. I dont know, its all just guesswork really lol I know i'll get there eventually because there isnt an alternative for me this time lol.
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree...calories in, calories out - that is the basic rule to lose weight, always stick to it. Even Jillian on BL uses that philosophy!

Keep it up, you are doing great!

Adele :)