Running the the Rain... and the dark!

Options
Im here in Seattle, and this is the first time I will be training in the Cold, Wet, Dark.
Does anyone have any suggestions for lightweight gear that is going to keep me dry and visible?

Thanks!

Replies

• shannysgirl
    Options
    I live in a rainy area too so I just always wear a hat or else the rain goes up my nose. I also bought these yellow reflector bands to wear when it's dark. They are supposed to be worn around the ankles but I wear them around my calves.

They do have lightweight neon safety vests for runners which I'm thinking of investing in because some drivers just don't pay attention so it scares me.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I invested in a Brooks Hi-Viz running jacket; it's brilliant as a comfortable layer, very lightweight and very bright :glasses:

Some of my running buddies wear flashing dog collars from the pound shop as well, wrapped around their arms/legs.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Black Diamond has a runner-specific headlamp called "Sprinter." It's 75 lumens and has an optional red blinking light on the back of the headstrap so you stay visible from all directions.
  • keepfit117
    Options
    Just be careful....years ago one night I was driving home and there were cars stopped by the side of the road for what looked like an accident. It was raining and dark. I got out to see if I could help. A man was on the ground, he'd been hit by a car while he was out running, the driver had been drinking... He was a pre-med student and he was killed instantly. It broke my heart, went to the funeral and met his mom. I have never forgotten that, and I tell everyone to be extremely careful running/walking at night and especially in the rain.....
  • Maplegirl
    Options
    Hi, I live in Victoria, and am facing the same issue. It's VERY dark, even in the city. I just bought a little round light that fits onto a zipper, but I need more reflection. Some good ideas here!

Good luck!
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    hey grace...i am down by Ft Lewis and <sigh> i think our summer IS definitely over!
    Nike and HellyHanson have some compression running capris with reflective banding on the legs...compression wear will keep your muscles warmer in the cold. And for really cold mornings like today, i wear a compression tank under a long sleeved compression top...under armour makes their coldgear with a thicker material, not like fleece but enough so that it slows the wind and fits close. i have anything baggy or that will cause me to overheat halfway into a run or a walk.
    little reflective velcro bands like the kind you would wear for biking can go on your arms and ankles, and as you run or walk they move so its more visible to drivers that there is something int he road to watch for.
    and always take id with you: roadrunner.com (i think thats it) has a little luggage-tag sized case that ties into your shoelaces and you can put a card or drivers license in there so if you are not able to tell anyone your name or medical precautions, they can read it.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Personally I just use a reflective vest with a small light up LED strip attached to it. My ex-wife was a little more worried though so she got herself one of these: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NPLEDV.html

The silver strips are full of LED lights that make you about as visible as humanly possible.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Black Diamond has a runner-specific headlamp called "Sprinter." It's 75 lumens and has an optional red blinking light on the back of the headstrap so you stay visible from all directions.

Glad you posted that -- I ran the other evening with a headlamp on and was thinking a red light on my rear would be good just like the bikes have (or are supposed to have) -- I'll probably buy on of these.....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I wear a running jacket (fluorescent green - makes a real fashion statement) that has very prominent reflective elements, a headlamp with a red blinking LED I put on the back and my gloves and tights also have reflective elements.

Even with all the gear in the world though the most important piece of safety equipment is between your ears. Run defensively , plan your routes and don't crank your tunes (in fact, it's safer to run without music- your ears provide you with a great deal of input and the reason we have two of them is to be able to judge from what direction and how quickly something is approaching you).