BURNING MUSCLES

Options
2»

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    when i started doing strength training i used to get muscular pain and it used to subside before, but now its not subsiding .......... is it normal for muscles to pain for a long duration even after giving it 24 hrs gap ?
    I do strength training on alternate days 3 times a week........ among those 3 days two days i lift light weight and increase the number of repetition to 25-30 for 2 sets using 5lbs weight dumbell........ on the day which i lift heavy (i.e. one day in a week) I use machines and lift heavy doing 12-15 reps for two sets.....

really confused as to how to reduce this muscular pain ........ am i doing the weight training in the right direction or should i take a long rest lke for a week or so and then again start strength training with light weights only.......

i do strength training to reduce weight as wel as to tone the body...... plz do advice

Keep working out until there is no more muscle pain ? My legs use to take 5 days to recover from a work out, now after 2 days the odd time 3 days I am fine. Just keep doing what your doing and it gets easier and easier. Also I use to get muscle pains the next day after every work out, now when I get a muscle pain say in my chest I go "awesome must of been a really good work out"
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is doing more sets , higher weights , will help in toning of my arms?
    do compound movements like pull ups, push ups, bb rows and overhead press. these will really help with upper body strength and muscle "tone"

you can do a mix of both. like maybe 1 day do lower weights (like 50-65% of your 1 RM) at 3 sets of 12 and another day do higher weights (75-95% of your 1 rm) at 5 sets of 5
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    During the actual lifting your muscles will enlarge in that rep range, it is called "pump". For a period after training they will retain fluid as they are trying to repair themselves, etc etc.

Anyways. Since it does sound just like DOMS.

1. Don't stray too far from your norm. Muscle soreness is more severe if you push yourself to hard too fast.
    2. Recovery time is based on many factors, not just hours on a clock. If they still feel sore after a day or two, do the foam rolling/tissue massage and see if that helps. Also do a lighter day.
    3. When you are doing high rep ranges you are using your endurance muscles rather than your strength muscles. As they aren't being used for their primary purpose will likely go through more changes and cause more pain.

random advice from a stranger on the internet.

This was my thought exactly about it being DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
  • job187
    job187 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    During the actual lifting your muscles will enlarge in that rep range, it is called "pump". For a period after training they will retain fluid as they are trying to repair themselves, etc etc.

Anyways. Since it does sound just like DOMS.

1. Don't stray too far from your norm. Muscle soreness is more severe if you push yourself to hard too fast.
    2. Recovery time is based on many factors, not just hours on a clock. If they still feel sore after a day or two, do the foam rolling/tissue massage and see if that helps. Also do a lighter day.
    3. When you are doing high rep ranges you are using your endurance muscles rather than your strength muscles. As they aren't being used for their primary purpose will likely go through more changes and cause more pain.

random advice from a stranger on the internet.

Got to agree. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness can last several days after the gymsession but it's not an indicator of a good or bad gymsession. It isn't either an indicator of wether your muscles are fully recovered or not. Muscles recover very fast and since the protein synthesis is elevated for about 48 hours (or up to 72) you can pretty much work the same muscle three times a week.

Also muscles can only get bigger or smaller. You can build muscle and you can loose fat to make them show but you can not tone it in the sense of giving it some kind of different shape.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    does our body gain weight at the time of muscle soreness?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    bump..
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    BCAA, creatine and beta alanine supplements generally help a great deal with muscle soreness. There is a lot of scientific evidence to support this.

The most important thing is to listen to your body. If you constantly feel sore and tired, then you're probably over-training.
  • job187
    Options

Muscle soreness has little to nothing to do with building muscle. After putting tension on a muscle the protein synthesis (during wich muscle repairs and grows) are higher for about 48 hours if you're natural.

And unless you are doing 1 rep maxes you shouldn't worry much about overtraining. Generally overtraining is reffered to when over taxing the central nervous system with max effort training.
  • jmzz1
    Options

Muscle soreness has little to nothing to do with building muscle. After putting tension on a muscle the protein synthesis (during wich muscle repairs and grows) are higher for about 48 hours if you're natural.

And unless you are doing 1 rep maxes you shouldn't worry much about overtraining. Generally overtraining is reffered to when over taxing the central nervous system with max effort training.
    my weight is on a plateau and there is no inch loss also......... is it due to muscle soreness
  • job187
    Options

my weight is on a plateau and there is no inch loss also......... is it due to muscle soreness

No it's not because of muscle soreness. Soreness comes from a buildup of wateproducts in muscletissue.

Yes, you will gain muscle if you workout in the hypotrophy range but in reality the process is so incredibly slow that it should not have any major imapct on your weightloss, especially since you are a woman who generally speaking got about a tenth of the testosterone levels compared to men.

A healthy male in his late teens or early twenties who's on a strict bodybuilding program with immaculate diet and who is genetically blessed can gain 12 pounds of lean muscletissue per year. I'm not familiar with the numbers for women but I'd be very surprised if it is as much as half of that.

So realistically you might gain half a pound of musclemass per month if the planets align in your favour.