Bananas

Options
Banana or no banana? I've heard both, bananas are high in carbs and I'm trying to stay low carbs, but they are a fruit and easy go to snack......

Help!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "low carb"? You should have room for a banana in a healthy diet.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Do you like banana? Do you want to eat the banana? Will it fit into your calories for the day? If the answer to these questions is yes, then eat the banana.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    bananas are one of the best fruits out there because of their micronutrient content... ofcourse its more calorically dense so you have to portion it out differently than say strawberries but a big YES for bananas.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All I know is that my doctor recommends eating bananas for potassium when my electrolytes are off. It's a healthy snack and so much better than some junk foods that may be lower in carbs. So eat bananas and enjoy!
  • AshleighPhilp1
    Options
    I think that the goodness of bananas outweighs the fact they are high carb. I don't go mad and have them every day, but I do have them atleast a couple times a week! :)
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Bananas are also nice recovery food when running... pre workout food. The good: This food is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin B6.

Bananas are high in sugar... a believe 28 g depending on size. It is a fruit and you need carbs to fuel your body for exercising.
  • Jof2013
    Jof2013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I try limit the bananas cause of sugar but they are one of the easiest fruit to eat quickly:)
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    :noway: BANANA!:noway: :sad:
  • nannye
    Options
    I'm trying to stay lower in carbs, because foods with a lot of carbs tend to be higher in calories and I don't always want to spend my calories on it. I still eat carbs.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    EAT THE DAMN BANANA.

Sheesh.....
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it on its own. You could mush up the banana and cook it with egg and vanilla to make "healthy" pancakes, or you could blend one with spinach and other fruits/nuts/oil to make a healthy smoothie. Banana is great with oatmeal, too.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Ever since attacked by a rabid banana ten years ago I can't go near one... you are taking your life into your hands even asking these kind of questions!
  • 101hellokittys
    Options
    even if you go low carb, your carbs should be coming from fruits and vegetables
  • rlkloke
    Options
    Bananas are a great post-run food. I don't see anything wrong with having one every so often.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Do you like banana? Do you want to eat the banana? Will it fit into your calories for the day? If the answer to these questions is yes, then eat the banana.

yup!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

This! I eat a banana almost every day, often two a day in fact.
  • abasmom
    Options
    just shared one with my 13mo old :wink:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Just eat the banana! :)